Cats can enjoy taking a stroll with you just as much as any other pet. If you’re a cat lover and want your feline friend to explore the great outdoors with you, one of the best ways to do that is with a stroller.
But, it’s essential to choose the right stroller for your cat. Not all strollers are created equally. Not only is quality and safety important, but so are extra features. Your cat should be able to feel comfortable and not nervous at all when you’re walking along a path or trail with them.
If you’ve never considered buying a stroller for your cat before, there’s no time like the present! Cats love being outside just as much as dogs. But, not all cats do well on leashes. And, if you let your cat out on their own, you’re putting them at risk for diseases, fights with other animals, or getting hit by a car.
Strollers are a safe and effective way to give your cat some fresh air. You’ll love being able to spend that extra time with them, and you’ll even be able to get in some exercise, too! If you’ve tried a pet stroller for your cat before and it didn’t work out, you may have just had the wrong one. It’s worth it to give it a try again using the right kind of stroller.
Table of Contents:
What is the Best Pet Stroller for a Cat?
This will be a full guide on the best pet strollers for cats, and why. We’ll go through several of the best strollers on the market and their features. You can then decide what would be most beneficial for you and your favorite feline.
Before we dive into the list of the top strollers, let’s take a closer look at why strollers are a good option for your kitties. We’ll also look at how different strollers can help with different needs.
Why Are Pet Strollers Good for Cats?
There are many different reasons pet strollers can be beneficial for cats. You might be worried about getting some strange looks around the neighborhood. But, most times when people see you ‘walking’ a cat in a stroller, it’s a great conversation starter. You may meet new neighbors or people in your town so that it can be a great social tool for you.
But, there are many reasons your cat will enjoy it and benefit from it, too. Some of the positive effects include:
- They are great for older cats or felines with medical conditions or disabilities. If your cat has a hard time even walking around the house, they probably aren’t going to do well walking outside on a leash. But, that doesn’t mean they won’t enjoy being outdoors and getting some fresh air. Taking a walk in a stroller can give them a bit of freedom they wouldn’t otherwise get.
- Speaking of fresh air, that’s another huge benefit! The vitamin D from the sun is also helpful – not just for the cat, but for you as well!
- Cat strollers can serve more than one purpose. If your cat enjoys the stroller, you can also use it as somewhat of a kennel. Your cat may sleep in it once inside. Or, you can have them out in the yard with you if they’re safely secured in the stroller while you’re gardening, playing with the kids, etc. It’s good for a cat to feel like they have a safe place of their own. A stroller can provide that sense of security.
- A stroller for your cat can also be helpful if you live in an urban/city environment. Cats in these environments can be in even more danger if they get out of the home. It’s far too easy to get hit by a car, stolen, etc. But, fresh air is just as crucial for them. A stroller walk will keep them safe and allow them to be outside.
What to Look for in a Good Pet Stroller
The strollers listed in this guide all have different features that are beneficial in their own ways. What you want to choose for your cat depends greatly on your needs and your pet’s personality. There are a few questions you should ask yourself when you’re considering the right stroller. Keep these questions in mind as you look through some of the best options:
- Where will I use the stroller? Consider where the stroller will get the most use. You might want to walk through the neighborhood or even run errands in retail spaces. Or, you might want to go jogging or hiking. Choosing the right wheels is vital for the type of terrain you’ll usually be on. So, decide where the stroller will most often be used before making your choice. The wrong wheels on a rocky road can make for a bumpy ride!
- What features will I use? A pet stroller shouldn’t just have features for your cat. It should also be convenient for you to use. Everyone has their own personal preferences. But, consider things like cup holders, storage, etc. You’re more likely to enjoy using the stroller regularly if there are a few ‘perks’ for you.
- How often will I use it? Choose a stroller that’s convenient for you depending on how often you’ll use it. If it’s something you want to use every day, you may not need to worry about storing it. If It’s something you might only use once in awhile, you might want to find something that can fold flat and store easily.
- How safe is it? The most important question you should ask yourself is how safe a stroller is. A stroller manufacturer should be eager to brag about their safety features, not hide them away. Look for things like mesh screens, locks and zippers, and harnesses or seatbelts that will keep your feline friend safe and secure.
You’ll probably come up with other questions on your own before buying the ‘purrfect’ stroller for your cat. But, use these to get you started and make the right decision! Now that you know what to look for let’s get into some of the best stroller options for your feline friends.
AT3 Generation II All-Terrain Pet Stroller
The AT3 Generation II All-Terrain Pet Stroller is great for covering all types of ground. If you plan on taking your cats on hiking trails or bumpy roads, you don’t have to worry about making the ride uncomfortable for them. In fact, comfort and safety are two of the key features for this all-terrain stroller.
It’s important to note that the stroller itself is 23lbs. That’s part of what makes it so durable. It’s meant to be used in many different areas, but because of its weight, it’s likely better suited for someone who will use it regularly instead of just once in a while. That way, you don’t have to worry about storing it away too often.
Not only is it sturdy because of its weight, but it can also hold a pet up to 40lbs. It’s rare to find a cat that weighs that much. But, that means you can comfortably take more than one cat for a ride at a time! You’ll want to make sure you still follow the weight limit. But, if you have smaller cats and one doesn’t want to get left out, this is a great way to include both of them.
Some of the critical safety features included are:
- Mesh window: This allows for proper ventilation and gives your cat(s) a chance to look around.
- Big wheels: The wheels of this stroller are 11.5″ and include shock absorption. Your cat won’t get jostled around on terrain.
- Quick-lock brake: The quick-lock security brake means you’ll never have to worry about the stroller rolling away. If you’re parked on a hill or slanted area, the brake will keep your wheels in place until you’re ready to move again.
- Locking front wheel: If you’re on especially rough terrain, you can lock the front wheel in place. It won’t jostle around, so you’ll be able to give your cat an even smoother ride.
On top of being extremely safe, this stroller also has a lot of conveniences for both you and your kitty. First, they’ll be comfortable thanks to the soft fleece pad inside. You can remove it as often as needed for easy cleaning.
You’ll love the fact that it has a cup holder, storage space, and one-handed folding so you can store it quickly if needed.
With perks for both you and your cat, this is an excellent stroller for an active pet owner. If you love taking in the great outdoors each day and want to bring your cat along, this stroller is one of the best ways to do it safely.
OxGord 3-Wheel Jogging Pet Stroller
If you’re new to the world of pet strollers or you’re looking for something more budget-friendly, try out the OxGord 3-Wheel Jogging Pet Stroller. Budget-friendly doesn’t mean that this is a lesser-quality stroller! In fact, it has many great features that are perfect for cat owners who want to take their kitties for a stroll.
First, it’s incredibly easy to use. That’s another reason it’s great for people who aren’t used to strollers. You can set it up and have your cat safely inside in just a matter of minutes. It folds up just as quickly and can be discreetly stored. This makes it easy to use as often as you’d like. There’s no real hassle in getting it out and setting it up.
Some other convenience factors you’ll enjoy include a built-in cup holder, storage compartment, and the ability to fold it up with a single hand. The stroller will already be fully assembled when it gets to you. So, you don’t need to worry about building it from the ground up.
Now that you know this stroller will be convenient for you, what can you expect for your cat?
OxGord hasn’t taken any shortcuts when it comes to safety features. Some of the additions that will keep your feline friend safe include:
- Strong zippers: One of the risks of certain pet carriers and strollers are zippers that can come undone or be broken easily. The zippers on this stroller won’t come loose and can stand up to pawing or biting. This will keep your cat secure at all times.
- Seat belt leash: Because cats are smaller, it’s easy for them to get jostled around inside a stroller if nothing is holding them in place. This stroller comes with a seat belt leash that can easily be clipped on. Even if you hit rough terrain, your cat won’t get tossed around within the carriage.
- Ventilation: The OxGord stroller features front and side mesh windows. This allows for proper ventilation so your cat won’t overheat and can also help to keep them calm.
- Rain hood: Just because it’s a damp day doesn’t mean you should give up your regular walk! Or, if you get caught in a bit of drizzle, your cat can stay dry thanks to the rain hood that easily unfolds to keep them covered.
One of the best features of this stroller, especially for cats, is the dual-entry option. Some cats have a harder time being loaded into the front of a carrier or stroller. Dogs can have this problem too, but it’s prominent in nervous cats. But, when you’re able to lower them down into a carrier/stroller, they are usually much calmer. This stroller has that feature, so you can gently lower your feline friend down into it and reduce the risk of them starting to panic.
If you’re looking for a lot of convenience for yourself and safety and comfort for your cat, this is a great option. You don’t have to be new to the world of pet strollers to appreciate it. It’s a high-quality, durable, and easy-to-use product that any pet owner would love.
Pet Gear NV Pet Stroller
The Pet Gear NV Pet Stroller is a unique stroller that can carry a pet up to 70lbs. Again, that gives you the opportunity to take more than one of your feline friends on a leisurely stroll at a time! It’s perfect if you have two bonded cats who like to do everything together. It can also save you time if you want to take both cats for a walk and don’t have the time to do it individually.
The capacity isn’t the only great thing about this stroller. Its size also means it’s incredibly durable. It has three air wheels that are almost like bike wheels. This is different from many other stroller models that have plastic wheels. The air wheels work on all types of terrain to ensure your cat will have a smooth ride. If you’re a fan of hiking or jogging, you can continue your regular exercise routine while your cat stays safe and secure.
This stroller is surrounded by a durable mesh material. You already know how important that is for the safety and security of your pet. It will keep them cool, comfortable, and calm. Unlike many other strollers, this one features a bar in front that your cat can put its paws on. It will give them a bit of a ‘boost’ to see their surroundings better.
The Pet Gear NV also features a front lock instead of zippers. This can be beneficial for your cat since cats are quite good at scratching and clawing their way out of things. Zippers can sometimes get broken easily. This lock ensures your cat will remain safely inside the carriage.
Because this stroller can be used for both short walks and long hikes, it keeps you in mind, too. You’ll enjoy the useful cup holders and storage basket. You can keep snacks, supplies for your kitty, or supplies for yourself!
There’s a soft pad in the carriage of the stroller that can be taken out to clean. If your cat has an accident, you don’t have to worry about the smell. The rest of the stroller is also quite easy to clean and can be wiped down in just a few minutes. So, while it’s a heavy-duty, durable stroller, it’s still something that you’ll want to use almost every day!
How to Get Your Cat Used to a Stroller
Whether you’ve never tried a pet stroller before or you have tried them with negative results, it doesn’t have to be hard to get your cat used to it. As we’ve already said, you should never force your cat into a stroller or any space. It should be an enjoyable experience for both of you, not a scary one for your furry friend.
Even if your cat doesn’t adjust to a stroller right away, you don’t have to give up. There are a few things you can do to get them used to it. If they don’t seem to like it at first, it’s probably just because it’s a new and unfamiliar experience. Getting them used to a stroller can make a big difference.
Use these tips to make the process easier for both of you:
- Familiarize your cat with the stroller before you try to put it inside. When you buy a new stroller, leave it in the house for a few days where your cat has access to it. They’ll naturally be curious about it. Eventually, they may even jump up into the carriage on their own. Once they seem comfortable around the stroller and know it’s not a danger, it should be easier to put them inside and take them on walks.
- If they still don’t seem interested in the stroller after a few days, add an incentive. Put one of their favorite toys or a few treats in the carriage. If they can associate the stroller with something positive, they’re more likely to enjoy being in it for longer periods of time.
- You can also reward your cat the first few times they get in the stroller on their own, or with a little help from you. It’s just like training them to do anything else. Offering them a treat for getting into the stroller easily will be another positive reinforcement.
- The first few times you go for a walk with the stroller, it’s a good idea to stay pretty close to home. Just because your cat seems used to it doesn’t mean they’ll feel that way for an extended period of time right away. Just in case, try a walk around the block at first. Over time, you can add to your route or change the scenery. But, you don’t want your cat to become scared or nervous when you’re walking far away from home. Take it slow and keep it close at first!
By following these tips and showing patience, it’s not impossible to get your cat to love going for walks in the stroller. Many cats end up jumping in the carriage of a stroller each day, eager for their regular walk! For some, though, it can take time to get to that point. Don’t give up right away, and let your cat set the pace for how quickly they become comfortable with the stroller.
As you can see, there are many benefits to getting a stroller for your cat. It’s just a matter of choosing the right one. The strollers listed in this guide are all great options. But, they have different features. It’s important to select the stroller that fits your lifestyle and your needs the most.
Going for a walk with your cat with a stroller is suitable for both of you. We hope this guide has given you some ideas about the perfect stroller. We hope you’ve also gained some insight into why walking your cat outside can be more critical than most people think. Give it a try with one of the strollers listed here, and you and your furry friend will love your regular walking routine together!