Any cat owner knows that traveling with one cat is hard, but with two it’s nearly impossible.
Trying to get them both into individual cat carriers is an uphill battle and one that the cats will often win.
Whether you’re taking your pet to the vet, on a vacation, or just for a bit of an explore in the outside world, you probably already have a cat carrier to hand.
But if you have more than one cat, they may not both fit in the carrier together.
It might be that your cats are inseparable, so putting them in separate carriers for travel may cause them stress or anxiety.
Or perhaps you just want them to keep each other company on the journey.
So, should you place each cat in its own carrier or do you transport them together?
While this will depend on a few factors (like the size of the cats, and how well they get along with each other) we cannot recommend getting a double cat carrier enough!
Although double cat carriers aren’t as common as single cat carriers, there are still plenty of wonderful options available for purchase these days, so to help you out we have rounded up this list of the top 7.
This list contains some of the best-reviewed cat carriers that can hold two cats. These carriers come in a variety of styles, costs, and capacities so there should be something for everyone’s needs on this list.
Keep reading to find the best cat carrier for you, and take a look at the buyer’s guide at the end if you want a bit more guidance on what to look for.
Table of Contents:
1. Petseek Extra Large Cat Carrier – Best Collapsible Carrier
If you’re looking for something to easily fold away when not in use, then this might be the best option for you.
Just because it collapses though doesn’t mean that it’s not durable. In typical collapsible designs, the supports would be made from plastic rods, which can very easily snap or break.
In this carrier though, the typical plastic has been replaced with metal supports.
This makes this carrier a lot more sturdy than other ones, and it should provide a more comfortable ride for your cats as a result.
If you have little space for storage in your home, this is the perfect solution for you.
This is an adaptable carrier that works well for both lengthy vehicle drives and quick visits to the veterinarian. Your cat may find it so cozy they might never want to leave!
- Seatbelt loops – these provide for a speedy and easy fastening inside of a vehicle.
- Simple to put together and put away – you don’t need the stress of trying to put up a carrier if you’re running late to the vet, and luckily with this, it won’t be an issue.
- Adjustable shoulder strap – if you’re carrying two cats in this bag over your shoulder, then the straps will ensure that the weight is distributed evenly to keep you comfortable
- Mesh paneling – lets you keep an eye on your pets while traveling. This is also a great feature as it lets your pets get some fresh air.
- The base may sag – The base of soft-sided carriers has a tendency to sag in the middle, so if your cats tend to be on the heavier side, you might want to consider adding some plywood or boarding to the bottom of the carrier.
- EXTRA LARGE COMFORTABLE PET CARRIERS- Perfect for Medium to Large Cats or up to Medium Dogs. Measures approximately 24x16.5x16 inches. Hold pets up to 55 pounds.
- STURDY & COLLAPSIBLE STRUCTURE- The inner part is steel support structure. And the steel support is foldable.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY- This pet carriers is made from Oxford fabric that is wear resistant and easy to clean. And nylon mesh is resistant to tearing and ventilated.
- SAFETY DESIGN- There are 3 locking zippers for the 3 accesses to prevent pets from opening and one clip inside for additional security.
- CONVENIENT DESIGN- There are 3 access for pets, top and front. Besides, the fleece pet bed is machine washable.
2. ASPEN PET Fashion Dog Kennel – Best Plastic Carrier
Because cloth cat carriers are not suitable for transporting some felines, we thought it would be best to also provide a sturdy carrier option.
Plastic carriers are more durable than other types, making them a better option for cats that are difficult or anxious to transport.
In addition to this, unlike soft-sided carriers, they do not sag in the middle.
This carrier is available in a variety of sizes, so you should make sure that you get the one that is most suited for transporting your pets.
If you have problems with your wrists or shoulders, you should be aware that carrying two cats can be too heavy for you to do comfortably if you use a plastic carrier, which tends to weigh more even before you put a pet inside it.
Still, the average person should be able to hold and open this carrier with just one hand.
- Very easy to put together – this carrier comes with metal screens that are used to keep the lid and base of the carrier secure. Once you have put these parts together, you’re done.
- Comes in many sizes – no matter how big or small your pets are, this brand makes the perfect size for your needs.
- Cats can’t bite through it – this is probably the biggest advantage, as this means that this carrier will last much longer than cloth ones.
- Very easy to clean – cats often get nervous in a carrier, which can lead to “accidents”. Luckily as this carrier is made of plastic, it’s super easy to clean.
- It’s quite heavy even when empty – the larger the carrier, the more it will weigh, especially if there are two cats inside.
- Hard to store – Because it does not collapse like a fabric carrier does when it is not in use, it is more difficult to put away somewhere.
- Sturdy Plastic Dog Crate: Securely and safely protect your pet and your home with this small dog crate that features an easy-open latch to secure the sturdy wire door, and durable fold-down handle making carrying this dog travel crate a breeze
- Suitable for Pets 20-25 lbs: Pet Kennel exterior dimensions - 26" L x 18.6" W x 16.5" H; Interior dimensions - 23.8" L x 17" W x 15.5" H. Product weight – 5 lbs. If in doubt, buy a size up. No tools required for assembly
- Airline Friendly Dog Carrier: This pet carrier meets most airline cargo specifications. This travel dog crate also has ventilation on 4 sides. Includes built in storage for additional pet identification
- Easy to Keep Clean: Sturdy plastic shell on this dog carrier is easy to clean, with stay-dry moat that surrounds the interior to pulls fluids away from your pet in case of wet accidents, making it a great puppy carrier or kennel trainer for housebreaking
- For Pets and Pet Parents: Petmate provides everyday essentials for pet parents, dogs, cats and other pets such as: litter box accessories, pet toys, cat cages, dog cages, gravity water/food bowls, dog cages, pet beds, puppy crates, cat carriers and more!
3. Ibiyaya Double-Compartment Pet Carrier – Best Bag
When you think of any type of pet carrier, you’re probably imagining a plastic or fabric box that you have to carry.
But what if you could make the whole thing hands-free? That’s where backpack carriers come in!
Backpacks designed specifically for transporting cats may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but they are a fantastic hands-free alternative.
Because you carry the carrier on your back like a standard backpack, it is perfect for individuals who do not have a buddy or partner who can assist them in taking their pets to the veterinarian or on public transportation because you can very easily carry your furry friends yourself.
This carrier can also make traveling with your cats a lot simpler if you need to have both of your hands-free to do other things, such as traveling with your cat on a train, for example.
It is also helpful if you want to walk to the vet, as this is the most environmentally friendly option.
In an emergency, you can change this into a single cat carrier by removing the divider from the inside of the carrier.
- Can keep cats apart when in the same bag – Because each compartment has its entrance, the cats can maintain complete isolation from one another.
- Water and weatherproof – cats famously hate water, so if you have to take them to the vet on a rainy day you will very much appreciate this
- Extra pockets – this backpack carrier is also very useful to people as it has velcro side pockets for you to keep a few small things in
- Doesn’t hurt to wear – after a long day of carrying cats on your back, you might expect to be a bit achy. This design keeps all of the weight distributed so you won’t be hurting once you take off the bag.
- Might not be suitable for bigger cats – as this is a bag, it’s much smaller than typical pet carriers, so a larger cat may be uncomfortable
- Stylish dog/cat transport sack that features two separate zipper-attached compartments to shelter 1-2 small- or medium-sized pets, for storage of clothing and essentials, or to fit one tall/large k9 pet plus pockets for leash- and hands-free walking
- Bag made with approved premium, durable, lightweight, and washable cross-weave fabric with mesh windows for air and ventilation
- Innovative adjustable dual cabin space design with separate front-facing entry access door and easy-collapse removable divider to open big space as holding room for any size puppy or kitten
- Sports quality sternum strap with external hanging loop, padded length-adjustable hip belt for support, anatomically-shaped shoulder straps with adjustable load lifter for comfort, and soft and ergonomically-curved inner cushion padding at the bottom
- Switchable into portable car booster seats by inserting seatbelt through the loops to keep kennel pack firm and tethered for safety and confidence when going to the vet
4. Sturdibag Large Flexible Pet Carrier – Best Shoulder Strap
The Sturdibag Large flexible pet carrier is an excellent choice if you are going to be traveling by yourself with two small cats and you need to be able to use both of your hands to do other things.
We think it’s awesome that you have the option to either partition the main compartment into two separate spaces for two cats or leave it open for one cat.
This is made more convenient and simple to carry thanks to the padded 4-point shoulder strap.
In comparison to some of the other alternatives, which can be cumbersome to transport due to their greater heft, this one is a welcome relief.
We believe that the Sturdibag is the best option for those who will be traveling on airplanes or public transportation.
It is a wonderful carrier that can hold numerous cats and makes traveling much simpler (and frequently hands-free!)
Additionally, we like how the frame can be compressed, which will come in handy if you ever need to store it under the seat in front of you.
This cat carrier has a weight carrying capacity of up to 50 pounds max, so keep this in mind when buying it.
- Mesh panel design – with this you’re able to keep an eye on your pet while you travel, and it’s also good for the cat as it gives them fresh air
- Compatible with most airline requirements for pet carriers – this is excellent news if you’re a frequent flyer, but be sure to double-check with the airline before beginning your cat along
- Safe – this carrier will keep your pet safe and secure thanks to the tether inside
- Warm – in every carrier there’s a cozy fleece pad that any cat would love to sleep on.
- A Bit small – in many reviews found online, past customers have said that they were surprised by how little it was. Instead of depending on the manufacturer’s expertise in general sizing, we strongly advise you to take measurements of your cat first.
- TRAVEL. SturdiBag makes the ultimate travel pet carrier. Our flex-height soft-sided carriers allow you to fit your dog or cat carrier underseat.
- PRIVACY. Most pets are anxious when flying. SturdiBag privacy flaps allow you to control the amount of stimuli your pets receive, so they feel safe, secure & comfortable.
- SAFETY STRAPS. 4-Point carrier straps allow for easy & stable transport of your pet. Seatbelt straps are also included on both sides of our cat & dog carriers.
- SECURITY CLIPS. We further increase the safety of your pet by including clips that securely close the zippered openings and a tether to connect your pet to the carrier.
- COMPACT & DURABLE. Tested to safely carry up to approximately 40 lbs, the SturdiBag is extremely strong, since it made out of 600 denier polyester.
5. One For Pets Portable 2-In-1 Double Pet Kennel – Best Versatile Carrier
This double-cat house is wonderful, and we are big fans of it. Perfect for car rides or any other trips, this is another pet carrier that is for two cats but can easily be made into a single pet carrier.
Because it is a multiple-cat carrier that provides a separate space for each cat, some people will find that it is more convenient to use than other options.
We appreciate the versatility of this carrier, as it allows you to create a larger place for your cats by zipping together the two parts or using them independently as two separate carriers.
If you give the features of the carrier some attention, you’ll see just how well this cat carrier was designed.
This durable carrier with soft sides may be used in three different ways, any one of which should be suitable for either of your cats, regardless of their personalities.
You can use this carrier as two single ones for your pets, as two carriers zipped together with a divider in the middle, or the same but with no divider.
If you’re not sure how your cats will react to traveling together, then you could use this carrier to do a small test before your real vacation.
You could put the cats on either side and put the divider in the middle to keep them apart.
If you see that your cats are acting relaxed, you can open the divider by inserting your hand through the mesh opening and allowing them to interact with each other and the opposite side of the enclosure.
If you suddenly hear any hissing or your cats appear uneasy, you have the option of zipping the barrier back up or entirely separating it into two distinct carriers.
This carrier is fantastic because it can be used for either long or short car trips, which is a huge convenience.
These are some very innovative houses for pets. They are wonderful to have if you plan on showing your cats in any type of competition or display.
You also have the option of purchasing an optional hammock to hang inside the carrier, which adds a charming touch and provides a wonderful opportunity for your cat to relax while traveling.
Regardless of whether the two portions are joined together or not, there is sufficient room in either one for a portable litter box, food, water dishes, or both.
The carrier is built to maintain its shape while also maintaining its modest weight.
Because the pad coverings are washable, it is also simple to clean in the event of an accident, which is a significant benefit for a soft carrier.
- Very versatile – this cat carrier can be set up in three different ways to best suit your needs
- Can attach it to the car seat- this makes the drive even safer for the cats and stops the bag from sliding around on the seats when you turn corners (see also ‘Can You Drive With A Cat Loose In A Car? [Everything You Need To Know]‘)
- Carry case included – this extra layer protects the outside of the bag when using it
- Expensive – This is far more costly than competing carriers.
- Travel Carrier: Built-in straps that allow safe connection to a seatbelt; Easy to set up and fold flat in seconds; Pad cover is removable and washable
- Cat Travel Carrier: Pet carrier/dog carrier with multiple entrances; Interior hooks for hanging the hammock (Hammock is optional); Comes with an individual carry case for easy storage
- Three ways to use the Double Kennel: 1) Use as two connected but divided compartments; 2) Use as one big space by unzipping the center zipper which divides the walls; 3) Detach the Double Kennel into two Single Kennels
- Lightweight Travel Carrier: Lightweight and zippered mesh door in the front and at one or both ends. Size: Double: 20" x 20" x 39"
- Dual Compartment Pet Kennel: Can be used as a pet kennel or pet cage indoors or outdoors
6. Amazon Basics Hard-Sided Pet Travel Carrier – Best Crate
This is the ideal cat carrier for people who want no fuss, just a simple pet carrier to get the job done.
While many people love soft carriers for their versatility and style, if you’re in the market for one, this hard-sided carrier from Amazon Basics is exactly what you need!
If you have multiple cats that want to travel together but also enjoy playing with their claws, you’ll be happy to know that the steel wire can withstand even the sharpest claws.
Aside from the entrance door, the carrier has limited visibility, which ensures that your cats will have some degree of privacy while you are traveling with them.
This may also help to keep your cats calmer on your travels, as these pets often feel safer in enclosed spaces.
While it’s pretty closed off, you won’t have to worry about your pets getting too hot in there because the small side openings allow for a lot of fresh air to reach them.
There is plenty of room for two cats in this carrier, so long as they’re not too large. If you have two smaller cats, you may even be able to fit some food dishes and a small litter box in the crate.
You can probably guess that a hard plastic carrier is not the most comfortable for cats, so you will need to be sure to add a lot of soft blankets to make the environment more bearable for them.
- Range of sizes – You have a selection of sizes to choose from, ranging from 22 inches to 48 inches in size
- Large door – helps you to easily get your cat inside
- Easy to clean – plastic is super easy to clean, just wipe it and you’re done
- No handles – there is no top handle on this carrier, which makes carrying it pretty difficult. Instead, you will have to rely on the wheels for movement
- No seat belt loops – this means that you won’t be able to securely attach it to your
- 23 inch pet carrier and kennel for dogs, cats, and other pets
- Durable molded plastic construction
- Metal wire cage door and side panels for ventilation
- Secure locking door closure mechanism
- Top carrying handle
We thought it would be helpful to include this cat carrier in this list because it can come in quite handy when driving for extended periods.
Although it is not a standard carrier, it does offer a nice spot that is both secure and comfortable for two cats to travel together.
It’s not uncommon for cats to experience anxiety during car travels; so, having multiple cats in one carrier is often the best way to ensure everyone’s comfort.
This carrier can be purchased for a fair price, but if you are unsure about whether or not you want to spend this amount of money on a one-time trip, you can also use it as a portable outdoor enclosure in your yard or on your balcony.
If you don’t have enough room in your house, you may collapse the carrier flat on itself, fold it up, and store it in the case that comes with it, which has a drawstring closure.
Your cat will be protected by the sturdy gate entry on each side, and thanks to the mesh panel, it will have plenty of fresh air to breathe while they are traveling in its carrier.
There is also enough space for your cats’ necessities, such as food, water, toys, and even a portable litter box, so you won’t have to worry about leaving anything behind.
One of the best things about it is that it comes with a safety leash that you can find inside.
This attaches to your cat’s harness and is very useful if your pet is a little escape artist and you’re worried about them breaking out of the carrier.
- 2 doors – found on either end of the carrier, this makes it even easier to get your cat inside
- Large interior – there is enough space for the cats to stand and walk about in the enclosure
- Added leash – stops your pet from trying to escape
- Perfect for long car trips – as there’s so much room and the interior is very comfortable, your cats won’t mind spending a long car ride in this carrier.
- Easy storage – when not in use simply fold down the carrier and roll it up to store
- Little sun protection – because there is a huge mesh panel on one side of the carrier, there should have been a cover flap for it in case your cats require some privacy or shelter from the sun.
- Not very durable – if your cats love to scratch, then the soft fabric of the carrier might not last long.
- Soft-sided kennel makes a cozy cove for your cat (“M” for dog up to 50 lb) at home or on the go.Includes drawstring bag for stowing and carrying in between usesFor Medium Size Dogs
- Folds down flat for convenient storage
- Seatbelt straps keep it safely in place within your vehicle when you’re on the go
- Removable, washable pad is cushiony soft on one side, waterproofed for spill protection on reverse
- Overall set-up dimensions: 31.8"L x 20"W x 20"H
Here are some things to consider when buying a double cat carrier.
Do Your Cats Get Along?
This is one of the most important things that you have to think about. Consider whether or not it’s safe for your two cats to travel together in the same carrier.
Even though they may get along well most of the time, you can’t predict how they will behave when they are confined in the same place together.
First things first, you need to measure both of your cats, and then you can compare those measures to the dimensions of any carrier you’re considering purchasing.
It’s essential to check that the carrier can accommodate both of the cats without causing them any discomfort.
The terms “small,” “medium,” and “big” are used in a variety of ways by various manufacturers, and the carriers may turn out to be far smaller or larger than you anticipated.
That is why it’s best to try and find the exact dimensions of the carrier that you’re thinking of buying.
A carrier should be one and a half times the size of your cat according to most vets, and if you have two cats, you will need to increase that number by one.
A cat carrier should also be large enough for your cat to stand without crouching and be able to turn around.
You should also weigh both of your cats to check whether or not the carrier you’ve picked can support the combined weight of both of your cats as well as some additional weight for food/toys/blankets.
In addition, the type of journey that you have planned may need to require you to select either a larger or a more compact carrier than you had originally intended.
If the trip to the vet is going to be relatively short or if you’re just traveling to a different area of the same city, then you might be able to get away with using a more compact carrier that both of your cats can fit into comfortably.
If, on the other hand, you intend to go across the country with your cats, you should search for a carrier that is significantly larger and has additional space for a portable litter box as well as the cat’s food and water dishes (see also ‘A Guide To The 3 Best Cat Carriers With Litter Boxes‘).
The Weight When Empty
Before you choose a double carrier, it’s important to consider how heavy it will be for you to carry it.
If you have an injury to your wrist or shoulder, lifting a larger carrier may be more difficult for you. If this is the case, a backpack or stroller option might be best for you.
Is It Strong?
The carrier ought to have adequate support to handle two cats at once.
When making purchases online, it can be difficult to visually inspect the product’s build quality; however, before making any purchases, you should always read verified customer reviews first.
You will want to make sure that the cat carrier has adequate ventilation.
The majority of pet carriers with soft sides feature various mesh panels and apertures that not only improve visibility but also allow for greater airflow.
If you believe that your cats will feel more secure in total darkness rather than in the light, then you should consider purchasing additional cat carrier covers or placing a breathable light fabric over the carrier to give them some privacy.
Hard plastic carriers typically have one door, and the sides are covered in small holes that reduce visibility.
Having adequate ventilation and many exits to the carrier are even more important if you happen to live in an area that has a warmer climate or if your cat suffers from feline asthma.
Safety should always be your top priority when traveling with pets. If you purchase a cat carrier with hard sides, you should ensure that the mechanism used to close the carrier is safe.
When it comes to fastening the top to the bottom, side snaps are by far the most frequent way; however, if they are made of plastic, they run the risk of breaking with time.
If you have your heart set on a carrier with soft sides, be sure that it has zippers that lock automatically so that your two feline pals won’t try to escape when on the move.
The majority of soft cat carriers come equipped with seatbelt loops, which are an additional crucial safety element.
These loops are used to secure the carrier to the car seat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Okay To Transport 2 Cats In One Carrier?
When going on a trip, it’s possible to transport two cats using a single carrier but this typically only works well if you’re traveling with two younger cats or smaller cats.
Older cats should be transported in different containers as they are a lot more strict on their territory and who they let inside.
Although it’s possible for numerous cats to travel together safely in a single large carrier when in the car, most airlines do not permit more than one cat to be transported in a single carrier when flying.
Cats don’t like to do their business in front of other animals or people, and this is true both in the wild and in the home.
Because of this, they prefer to have their boxes situated in quiet areas where they may maintain some level of privacy and safety.
A shared litter box might be stressful for a cat, especially if numerous cats are using the same box at the same time.
Last update on 2022-01-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API