Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are popular dogs due to their size and loving nature. They are considered a ‘sporting toy’ dog. They are great family dogs and incredibly loyal companions. In fact, one of the most notable characteristics of this breed is that they are extremely dependent on companionship. So, they’ll want to go with you wherever you go. Finding the right dog carrier for your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel will make traveling easier for both of you.
Why is it important to choose the best King Charles Spaniel pet carrier? The right choice will make it easier for you to take your four-legged friend more places. It will also ensure that they are safe and comfortable no matter where they go.
Because they are a part of the toy breed of dogs, they are small enough to travel by plane or car with ease. But, if you’ve never invested in a dog carrier before, finding the right one can make all the difference in how often you want to take your spaniel with you.
This guide will cover a few of the safest and most comfortable dog carriers for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. We’ll go over the characteristics of the breed and what you can expect when you travel with them.
The carriers listed in this guide are perfect for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels based on their size, comfort, safety features, and more. Once you’re ready to travel with your dog – whether it’s a simple trip to the vet or across the country – having the right carrier can make all the difference.
Table of Contents:
- 1 Do Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Like to Travel?
- 2 What Is the Best Pet Carrier for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels?
- 3 How to Get My Dog Used to a Pet Carrier
- 4 Which Carrier Should I Choose?
- 5 Read Our Latest Posts:
Do Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Like to Travel?
It’s easy to travel with most dogs in the toy breed category. On average, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel will be anywhere from 13-18 pounds. So, they are easy to carry with you in a variety of different bags. But, traveling is only fun if both of you enjoy it.
This breed of dog will probably love being with you wherever you go. They are a comfort-loving breed that tends to bond strongly with their owners. In fact, they need regular companionship each day, or it’s not unusual for them to get stressed.
If they do become stressed out by a lack of companionship, they could become anxious and develop separation anxiety. When this occurs, they might start destroying things, going to the bathroom inside, etc. It isn’t something they do ‘on purpose.’ Rather, it’s a natural reaction to feeling anxious and scared to be alone.
They are also sweet-tempered dogs. Most Cavaliers get along well with other dogs and other people, including kids. But, they need plenty of socialization, so that’s another great reason to travel with them as often as possible.
Finally, this breed is athletic. Though they are a toy dog, they are happy to retrieve, play, and run around for hours on end. Keeping them with you and giving them a chance to explore will make them much happier than being cooped up in a kennel all day while you’re gone.
So, if you’re wondering whether your Cavalier will enjoy traveling with you? The answer is yes! They’ll likely love it just as much as you do. With the right training, they can become easy and enjoyable travel companions.
What Is the Best Pet Carrier for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels?
Choosing the right carrier for your toy dog, like a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel can be difficult. You might think that because these dogs are so small, any carrier or bag would work. But, you still have to choose the right size and safety features.
A bag that is too big can be dangerous for your dog. They can easily get jostled around inside and may hurt themselves. A good place to start when choosing the right carrier is to measure your dog. Most Cavaliers are about a foot tall. But, you should measure your dog from his feet to the top of his head, and from his nose to his tail to get an accurate measurement. Never choose a carrier based on weight capacity alone.
Carriers like the ones listed below have extra features built in. These features are designed to keep your pet safe, comfortable, and make carrying them around easier for you. In each of the carriers listed below, we’ll cover some of those features and how they can benefit both you and your dog.
Petmate Two Door Top Load Pet Kennel
There are typically two types of pet carriers to consider; soft crates and hard crates. There are positives and negatives to both, depending on the type of travel you’re doing. One of the best hard carriers is the Petmate Two Door Top Load Pet Kennel.
Not only is this a sturdy carrier for traveling, but it’s a top-loading crate. If your dog is new to traveling or being in a carrier or has anxiety, a top-loaded carrier like this is a great option. Whether you’re taking your dog to the vet or on an airplane, you can be confident in the sturdiness of this carrier.
Some of the biggest benefits of the Petmate carrier are:
- Ventilation: Having enough airflow through a pet carrier is important. It keeps your dog cool and calm. This carrier has ventilation on all sides so your pet can look out. This will help them to feel less anxious.
- Sturdy material: This is a hard-sided dog crate. So, it can be used for travel or as a kennel at home for training. Because it’s made of plastic and steel, it’s great for road trips and airplane travel with your dog. You don’t have to worry about your dog chewing or scratching through the material. Because there isn’t any cloth involved, it’s also easy to clean. Soft-sided carriers can sometimes be a pain to keep clean if your dog has an accident. With this carrier, you can simply wipe away any liquids.
- Top loading: Many dogs can get anxious when being put in a pet carrier. If your dog isn’t used to it or doesn’t feel comfortable going in a front-loading carrier, top loaders are easy options. Dogs usually feel safer being lowered down into a carrier. You should never force your dog into a pet crate of any kind. But, lowering them from the top can make it an easier experience for both of you.
The large version of this carrier can hold a dog up to 20 pounds safely. It features an ergonomic handle that makes it easy to carry around. That will come in handy since it’s a carrier that can be used on airlines or short road trips. You’ll want to carry it with you everywhere!
The one drawback to this carrier is that it can be a bit heavy. It’s thicker and more durable than a soft-sided carrier. The plastic is also thicker than other hard-sided kennels. While this is a good thing for your pet’s safety, it can take a bit of strength to carry it around. But, if your dog is small, it shouldn’t be too much of a strain.
Argo by Teafco Pet Carrier
Many dogs that are in the toy group can be carried around in bags and carriers that are also fashion-forward. The Argo Pet Carrier is a perfect example of this. It’s functional and fashionable at the same time, so you can feel confident taking it with you wherever you go.
It is meant for smaller dogs, up to fifteen pounds. So, it’s important that you measure your Spaniel before buying this carrier. But, if your dog is under the weight limit and under 17 inches long, they will be a perfect fit.
You’ll love carrying around this bag because it can double as a fashion purse to anyone who might notice you. But, it’s strong enough to carry your dog and has a lot of extra features to consider. Some of the biggest benefits of this particular carrier include:
- Five external pockets: Some carriers don’t feature a lot of storage space. The Argo Pet Carrier has five zip-up pockets. Not only does this add extra security for your pet, it allows you to take more with you. You can store things like your dog’s leash, some treats, and more in the external pockets.
- Mesh windows: Because you can take this carrier just about anywhere, your dog will want to see where you’re going! Thanks to the sturdy mesh windows, they’ll be able to. The mesh on each side makes it easy for your dog to see out and encourages air flow through the bag. It also keeps the bag standing upright, so it won’t ever collapse on top of your pooch.
- Safe for the car: The carrier features a strap that makes it easy to slide a seat belt through. If you take your dog with you in the car, you can feel confident in their safety. The carrier won’t get jostled around or fall off the seat because you can buckle it in.
- Safe for air travel: Not all pet carriers are airline-approved. The Argo carrier is safe to take on a plane and meets all standard airline requirements. So, even if you’re traveling far, you can take your dog with you.
- Top loading: This is another top-loading carrier, but it also features a side opening so you can feed your dog easily in the carrier itself.
- Easy to clean: Even though this is a soft-sided bag, it contains a removable interior pad that can be washed. If your dog has an accident, throwing this pad in the washing machine will make the carrier as good as new. Plus, it’s soft enough to provide extra comfort for your dog even on long trips.
This is a multi-purpose carrier that is great for either the car or air travel. It’s also stylish enough that you’ll be happy to take it with you wherever you go. It’s definitely a trend to be able to take your small dogs with you in fashionable bags. Thankfully, the Argo carrier is as practical as it is stylish.
Sherpa Original Deluxe Pet Carrier
One of the best standard pet carriers on the market is the Sherpa Original Deluxe Pet Carrier. It’s a popular carrier because of how safe it is, and how easy it is to carry. It’s also considered a designer carrier. So, your pet can travel in style and you’ll know they’re also comfortable.
One of the best things about this carrier is how versatile it is. Because it’s easy to use, you can put your dog inside for quick trips to the vet, long road trips, and more. It’s one of the only carriers on the market that is approved by the ASPCA. It’s also recommended by many veterinarians. It comes in three sizes, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding the right fit for your Cavalier.
Still not convinced it’s the right carrier for you? Let’s take a closer look at some of the best features the Sherpa Original Deluxe has to offer:
- Ventilation: The carrier features three mesh sides to encourage airflow. It also gives your dog a chance to look out wherever they are.
- Reinforced handles: Both the handles and the bottom of the carrier are reinforced. It’s incredibly sturdy so you can feel safe carrying it all over.
- Leak-proof: If your dog happens to have an accident, the bag is leak-proof. It’s also easy to clean up after the fact.
- Easy to store: When you’re not using the carrier, it folds completely flat. Some carriers are bulky and take up a lot of space. The Sherpa Original Deluxe can fit almost anywhere in storage.
- Airline-approved: This is another bag that meets airline requirements. Thanks to its durability, you’ll feel confident taking it on a plane and knowing your dog will be both safe and comfortable.
The Sherpa carrier is so much more than just a ‘standard’ dog carrier. It remains one of the most popular on the market for a reason and looks sleek no matter what size or color you choose. If you’ve never gotten a pet carrier before and want to start out with one of the best, this one has everything you might need!
How to Get My Dog Used to a Pet Carrier
Cavaliers can be a nervous breed sometimes. They also need plenty of exercise due to their high energy levels. They may be hesitant to try out a pet carrier at first, especially if they aren’t used to being crated. But, once they learn how to do it, they’ll love the idea of going along with you when you travel.
So, there are a few tips to keep in mind as you get your dog used to spending time in a carrier:
- Never force them inside. This is why top-loading carriers tend to be better for nervous dogs. Pushing a dog into a carrier can make them even more scared. It may also cause them to be aggressive. It associates the carrier with a negative experience, and they won’t like doing it.
- Try keeping the carrier inside for a while. Some larger bags can be used as makeshift kennels, giving your dog a place to sleep or hang out while they’re in your home. If they get used to it in a comfortable setting, they’ll be more willing to go into it when you travel.
- Put one of your dog’s favorite toys inside. Or, try an old t-shirt with your scent on it. If they can make a positive association with the carrier, they’ll feel less anxious about being inside.
Which Carrier Should I Choose?
Along with the carriers listed in this guide, there are much more to choose from. While the three listed above are among the best, you should consider what type of travel you’ll be doing before choosing the right one.
Some carriers are designed to be more fashionable than others. Some are meant for air travel. Others are meant for things like hiking, or people with more active lifestyles. While many of these carriers can be interchangeable, choosing one that fits your lifestyle will make it better for you and your dog.
The best pet carrier for a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel depends on your dog’s personality, and how you plan to travel. Once you’ve measured your dog correctly, make sure they’re comfortable with the carrier itself. Once they get used to it, chances are they will love traveling with you.
Remember, this breed of dog needs your companionship to feel calm and safe. So, it’s a good idea to take them along. The right carrier can make it an even better experience.