Toy poodles tend to get a reputation for being high-maintenance dogs. In reality, they are great family dogs that are athletic, smart, and lively. Because of their small size, they are easy to carry with you. So, it’s no surprise that you’re interested in the best pet carriers for toy poodles.
Not only can it be fun to travel with a pet, but poodles can enjoy traveling with you, too. They are better companions than they often get credit for, so taking them with you on a trip or even making sure they’re comfortable on their way to the vet can be good for them.
When it comes to finding the best pet carrier for your toy poodle, it’s important to look at the size, safety features, and how both you and your dog will benefit. You also have to be aware of how you’ll want to use your carrier.
Some people want a bag that they can tote their toy poodle around in on a daily basis. Or, you may do a lot of air travel and want something that is appropriate for airplanes. Not all carriers are created equally, so finding the right one that fits your needs can make a big difference.
Table of Contents:
What is the Best Dog Carrier for Toy Poodles?
Depending on the type of travel you’re doing and the features that are important to you, this guide will cover three different types of dog carriers. They are all designed to safely and effectively keep your poodle comfortable no matter where you’re going.
If you’ve never invested in a dog carrier before, it’s a great time to do so. You may be surprised at how much both you and your dog enjoy it. It also makes it much more convenient to travel with your four-legged friend on a regular basis. Investing in a carrier is one of the best ways to travel with your dog, and it can be used for many different types of travel.
Do Toy Poodles Like to Travel?
You can carry around your toy poodle in a variety of ways. On average, a toy poodle only gets up to 11 inches tall and weighs anywhere from six to nine pounds. Their size and stature make them easy to carry around.
Poodles are great loyal companions. While they don’t like a lot of noise or chaos, they are dedicated to their owners. They don’t like being apart from those they are usually close to. As a result, they often suffer from separation anxiety, and they get lonely easily.
So, being able to take your toy poodle with you more often with the right carrier can be beneficial to their well-being. They won’t have to be alone so often, and you won’t have to feel as guilty for leaving them. You can also cut down on expenses so you won’t have to board them or hire a dog sitter.
Poodles also tend to like routine and patterns. So, while they will enjoy spending time traveling with you, a carrier is something they may need to get used to. Throwing something new into their routine can take time, so training may be required for them to get comfortable with it.
Travel Carrier Tips for Poodles
No matter what type of carrier you choose, making sure your pooch is comfortable with it is important. It can change the entire experience for both of you. There are a few tips you can use to make sure your poodle likes their carrier as much as you do.
These tips can also help you in choosing the right one for your dog:
- Make sure it’s the right size. It’s hard to get a carrier that is ‘too small’ when your miniature poodle is only about six pounds. But, it’s possible to get a carrier that is too big. You want a dog carrier that gives your pet room to turn around, but not so big that they can get jostled from movement. Measure your toy poodle’s height and length, and find a carrier that is a couple of inches larger. You should always measure from your dog’s feet to their ears, and from the tip of their nose to the end of their tail.
- Get your dog used to the carrier. Practice using it at home allowing them to get into it on their own or encouraging them with toys or treats. Never force a dog into a crate or carrier of any kind. If your dog is anxious about going into a front-loaded carrier, you may want to consider a top-loading option. Once they are used to the carrier itself, go on shorter trips. This can include a walk around the block or a car trip to the park. You can extend the length of these trips as your dog gets more comfortable.
- Check out the safety features. Your dog’s safety and comfort are high priorities when it comes to choosing the right carrier. Most models have specific safety features built in, such as interior clips or harnesses, extra zippers, etc. Make sure the carrier is durable enough for your dog, so they don’t risk escaping or hurting themselves. It should also be made of durable, sturdy materials. Many carriers have mesh sides so your dog can breathe. But, the material still has to be strong enough that your dog can’t chew or claw through it.
- Extra features that make the carrier more convenient for you will make you more likely to use it all the time. Remember, a carrier should be helpful, not an added chore. Things like pockets for food bowls and leashes are great options. Shoulder straps or wheels can also be useful if you’re going through airports, etc. Decide what features are important to you, and keep them in mind when considering what your dog needs.
- Poodles are easy to house-train. Because they are so intelligent, they can be potty trained quickly. But, they are also sometimes high-strung dogs and may have the occasional accident due to the excitement. Having a carrier that is easy to wash, or even a waterproof carrier can be beneficial for this type of dog. Many bags will contain a removable pad that makes them easy to clean as often as needed.
What is the Best Poodle Carrier Bag?
Now that you know how to choose the right carrier for your poodle and how to get them comfortable with it let’s look at some of the best options. The three carriers listed in this article are all safe and should be comfortable for both you and your dog.
Argo by Teafco Petagon Pet Carrier
It’s common for pet owners to carry around toy breeds in bags that look like purses. Fashion and convenience go hand-in-hand with these types of carriers. When you have a toy poodle, you can use one of these carriers to tote them around easily. But, fashion doesn’t always equal function. Many fashion totes for dogs aren’t all that practical. The Argo by Teafco Petagon Pet Carrier is an exception.
This is an airline-approved, stylish pet carrier that you’ll love taking with you wherever you go with your dog. It’s a designer dog carrier that was made for smaller dogs, like toy poodles. It’s safe enough to take on a plane with you but is also perfect for local travel and car rides.
Some of the best features of this carrier include:
- External pockets – It features five pockets that can be used for food, leashes, and other supplies.
- Mesh windows – This makes it easy for your dog to look out, and helps to ensure enough air flow is getting through the bag.
- Top loading – Some dogs can get anxious about front-loading carriers. This bag allows you to lower your poodle in from the top gently.
- Car safety – If you’d rather take your dog in the car with you than a plane, this carrier is perfect for vehicle travel. It has a strap that makes it easy to slide a seatbelt through and keep the carrier secure. This will keep your dog and the carrier from sliding all over the car seat.
- Water-resistant pad – The interior of the carrier contains a removable pad. It’s water-resistant and is easily washable. It’ll keep your poodle comfortable when they’re in the carrier, and makes for easy cleaning when necessary.
This Argo carrier is the perfect mix of style and functionality. If you’ve been looking for a stylish carrier for your toy poodle but want it to be sturdy enough for air travel, this is a great option. You’ll have no problems carrying your pet on board with you, but it’ll also be easy to tote them around on a daily basis.
Check the Price of the Argo by Teafco Petagon on Amazon!
Sherpa Original Deluxe Pet Carrier
The Sherpa Original Deluxe Pet Carrier is one of the best options on the market for pets up to 8 pounds for a small carrier. The medium carrier can hold a dog up to 16 pounds. It’s safe and comfortable for your dog, and also provides comfort and convenience for pet owners.
It is one of the only pet carriers currently approved by both the ASPCA and the Humane Society. But, it’s still important to make sure it’s the right selection for your toy poodle.
Some of its notable features include:
- Comes in different colors to fit your style and look great
- Recommended by different organizations for its safety features
- Washable lambskin interior fabric for comfort and convenience
- Front and top entrances to make your pet feel safe and comfortable getting into the carrier
- Leak-proof to avoid problems with pet accidents
- Locking zippers for added safety
This is another airline-approved pet carrier. But, it’s convenient enough to use in the car, or even going shopping. If you’re a frequent traveler, this is one of the best carriers you can choose for your pet. The only major drawback is some reviews have suggested the zippers can get stuck. Make sure to zip and unzip the bag slowly, so the zippers don’t have a chance to jam up.
You have the option of choosing this bag based on size and color, so you can customize it to fit your needs, as well as the needs of your toy poodle.
Check the Price of the Sherpa Original Deluxe Pet Carrier on Amazon!
Kenox Fashion Dog Carrier
One of the advantages of having a small dog is that there are many different types of carriers you can choose from. When you have a toy poodle that is under ten pounds, you can even carry them in certain purses. But, even a purse for a dog should have some functionality.
Thankfully, there are many designer handbags for dogs. One of the best designer carriers that can still be used for certain types of travel is the Kenox Fashion Dog Carrier. If your dog is often on the go with you, carrying this handbag is a great way to look sleek, no matter what you’re doing. But, it’s more than just a pretty carrier. It’s durable enough to go almost anywhere. It can even be used to take your dog hiking with you.
Some of the key features of this designer bag include:
- Removable padded interior to keep your dog safe
- Easy to clean
- Adequate ventilation for proper air flow
- Lots of storage for whatever items you or your dog may need
Whether you’re going shopping downtown or hitting the hiking trail, this is one of the best carriers that can fit into both worlds. It can hold a dog up to 16 pounds, so a toy poodle should have no problem fitting inside and having plenty of room to turn around.
Check the Price of the Kenox Fashion Dog Carrier on Amazon!
What to Bring When Traveling with a Dog
Aside from safety features, one of the best things to look for in a dog carrier for your poodle is ample storage. Carriers that have pockets on them will make it convenient to carry them along with you wherever you go.
If you have plenty of pockets on your new dog carrier, it’s important to know how to fill them up properly. Having the perfect carrier is a great start, but you’ll get the most benefit when you use all its great features.
So, fill up those pockets and compartments with everything your poodle needs, like:
- Food: Not only should you have some of your dog’s favorite food/treats on hand, but the carrier should have enough room so they can eat comfortably. Some carriers even expand to allow your dog a little extra space. If you’re worried about your dog being too cramped to eat, you may want to get one size bigger when you order your bag.
- Fresh water: Keeping your pooch hydrated during travel is vital. Carrying a water dish in their bag can make it easy to ‘fill up’ as much as possible and give your dog a drink. Or, you can buy a portable water carrier to keep with you. As you can see, bigger pockets easily come in handy for even the most basic of your pet’s needs.
- Medications: Dogs of all ages can take different medications. If your dog is on a specific type of medicine, you don’t want to risk being without it while traveling. Choosing a carrier with side pockets and compartments makes it easy to keep their medications organized and available as needed.
- Toys: Some dogs get anxious while traveling. Others can get bored. Having some of your pet’s favorite toys on hand can make for a much more pleasant experience for both of you. Store a few small toys in their carrier and offer them to your dog whenever they need some extra comfort.
- Your belongings: One of the most convenient parts of a pet carrier with pockets is you can use it as a bit of a bag for yourself, too. This is especially true if you’re carrying a ‘designer’ bag, as it can double as a purse for some of your essential belongings.
If you have a toy poodle, it’s understandable that you’d want to take them with you just about everywhere! The good news is that they can be easy to travel with because of their small size. It’s important that you know your dog’s temperament and provides the proper training before flying with them. But, once they’re comfortable with it, it can be an excellent experience for both of you.
We hope this guide has given you a good idea of what to look for in a great pet carrier for poodles. Making sure your dog is safe and comfortable is important. But, you also need to be aware of the type of traveling you’re going to do. When you choose the right carrier, you’ll feel better about having your dog with you more often, and they’ll love being by your side.
Last update on 2022-01-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API