Dog toothpaste is a great way to help your dog’s teeth stay healthy and clean. It also helps prevent tartar buildup, which can lead to gum disease or even more serious conditions like heart disease.
While there are many brands of dog toothpaste on the market, not all of them are safe for dogs. Some contain harmful chemicals that could cause health problems if ingested by your pet. So how do we know which is the best dog toothpaste and which should be avoided?
It can be tricky to find this information out and leaves many of us unsure where to turn or who to trust. We can find ourselves worrying about providing the best for our dogs and keeping them as healthy as possible.
Well, no more! Today we have all the answers for you! Keep reading to find out what the best dog toothpastes on the market are, and be sure to check out our handy buyer’s guide that will help you find the best toothpaste for your dog. Just stick with us to find out more!
Table of Contents:
- Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste
- Arm & Hammer For Pets Tartar Control
- Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste
- Petrodex Advanced Pet Care Toothpaste
- RADIUS USDA Organic Canine Pet Toothpaste
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Kicking off our list today is this fantastic toothpaste from Vet’s Best! This toothpaste is incredibly soothing, making it a wonderful choice for those with sore gums. It features aloe, grapefruit seed extract, enzymes, baking soda, and neem oil, giving it a refreshing and effective clean. The formula was created by vets, so you know you can put your faith in it.
The natural flavors are wonderful, and as it’s chemical-free, you don’t need to have any concerns when you use it! The gel tube makes it super easy to get the product out too, and your dog is sure to love the great taste! The tube has been repackaged recently, making it even easier for you to get it out and on the brush ready!
Not only is it easy to use, but when regularly used it can help to brighten your dog’s teeth, whiten them and clean away a build-up of plaque and tartar! In just one tube and for such a low price, this seems like a fantastic deal to us! And given the thousands and thousands of 5-star reviews, we aren’t the only ones who think so! So why not give it a try today?
- Made by vets – you know you can trust the formula
- Natural ingredients – everything is safe for your dog so you don’t need to worry when you use it!
- Gel consistency – is super easy to squeeze out and use, saving you time!
- Affordable – this low price point is suitable for all budgets
- Some customers noted that their dog was unwell after using, but these reviews are few and far between.
Also Available At
- SOOTHING AND EFFECTIVE - Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dental Gel Toothpaste is a veterinarian formulated soothing and effective mix of aloe, neem oil, grapefruit seed extract, baking soda, and enzymes
- CLEANS AND FRESHENS - Freshens breath and gently cleans away plaque and tartar
- PART OF A HEALTHY REGIMEN - Supports your dog’s dental hygiene between annual cleanings at your vet’s office
- NATURAL FLAVORS - Your dog will love the great taste. You will love how it brightens and whitens teeth while freshening the breath
- SAME FORMULA, NEW PACKAGE - The same great Vet’s Best dental gel is now available in an easy to use squeeze tube
Up next, we have this excellent toothpaste for dogs from Arm & Hammer. Given how excellent their toothpaste for humans is, we had high expectations from this toothpaste, and it didn’t disappoint! With this toothpaste, you get a complete care kit, making it outstanding value for money!
The kit comes with toothpaste, a toothbrush, and a finger brush that allows you to give your dog a dentist-style clean at home! The toothpaste is also banana flavored, making it super tasty. You shouldn’t have a hard time coaxing your dog to try this toothpaste!
It’s designed to reduce the build-up of tartar, improve breath, and whiten your dog’s teeth too. We tried it and were amazed at the results! Sure, you need to use it consistently to see a difference, but that’s the same with any toothpaste you try.
The toothpaste is made from natural ingredients, so you don’t need to worry about anything toxic entering their bodies. The infusion of baking soda makes this toothpaste 100% safe for dogs and puppies, it’s never too early to establish a strong dental routine with this toothpaste!
Other customers loved it too, and found that it was effective at clearing tartar and even helping reduce the appearance of inflamed gums! If your dog’s mouth needs some TLC, this could be the toothpaste for you.
The only downside is that it doesn’t smell the best! That said, if your dog is happy to have it in its mouth, a bad smell is worth putting up with!
- Complete kit – provides you with everything you need to clean your dog’s teeth
- Suitable for all dogs – making it perfect for those with dogs and young puppies
- Easy to use – saves you time wrestling your dog trying to brush their teeth
- Banana flavor – is sure to entice even the fussiest of dogs!
- Doesn’t smell the best which can be a little off-putting
- PROMOTES HEALTHY GUMS - Dog dental kit is gentle yet effective in reducing tartar buildup, eliminating dog's bad breath, and whitening and brightening your dog's teeth
- MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Natural ingredients ensure optimal dental health for your dog with the flavor of a tasty banana treat he or she will love
- EASY TO USE - For first time brushers, put a small amount of toothpaste on your finger and invite the dog to lick it off. Slowly progress to rubbing your finger along the gum line and teeth. For best results, brush 2-3 times per week
- YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR PRIORITY - If you have any questions or feedback, please contact us via email
- 100% SAFE - Infused with baking soda, this dental kit is suitable for all dogs and puppies and is a safe, gentle, and effective way to care for your dog's teeth
Now we have a fantastic toothpaste for you, and one that is even recommended by vets! That’s right, you know you can put your faith in Vibrac’s Enzymatic toothpaste! The toothpaste is even suitable for cats and dogs of all ages, so if you have multiple pets in your home, we strongly suggest considering this toothpaste.
The toothpaste uses enzymes to reduce plaque, freshen breath and leave your pet’s mouth nice and clean! It even has a poultry flavor that they are sure to love, we know our dog did! And if that flavor doesn’t sound appealing to you or your dog, you can choose beef or vanilla mint if they would prefer that!
What sets this apart from other kinds of toothpaste, is that it doesn’t use any foaming agents, meaning your pets can swallow it safely! This is a real game-changer for those with fussy pets or who find it difficult to clean their teeth, now you don’t need to worry about rinsing!
The toothpaste works best with a soft-bristled toothbrush, so we recommend grabbing one of those if you don’t have one already. The toothpaste itself is fairly reasonably priced too, so it shouldn’t set you back too much.
The only downside to this toothpaste is the recommended daily use. While that is fantastic and means that your dogs and cats can have sparkly clean teeth, it means that you are likely to go through the 70g tube fairly quickly. You can use it less often if you wish, but that might impact its results.
It’s an incredibly popular toothpaste and one we do recommend, just consider how often you might need to repurchase it before you buy it.
- Three flavors to choose from – allow you to find the perfect one for your dog
- Suitable for all ages – makes it the perfect choice for those with puppies and older dogs
- Reasonable price – should be suitable for most budgets
- Vet recommended – you know you can trust it!
- Recommended daily use means you might need to repurchase it often
- FOR DOGS AND CATS: Enzymatic toothpaste specifically formulated using an enzyme system for dogs and cats to reduce plaque, freshen breath, and ensure a clean mouth with Poultry flavor pets love
- SAFE FOR DAILY USE: Includes no foaming agents so this toothpaste is safe for pets to swallow
- VET RECOMMENDED: Virbac is the Top Recommended dental brand by Veterinary professionals and Made in the USA
- USE WITH A TOOTHBRUSH: Use a soft bristled toothbrush such as the CET Dual Ended Toothbrush, Apply daily or as directed by your veterinarian, Your veterinarian may give you specific directions follow this professional advice closely
At an incredibly low price, Petrodex is a wonderful toothpaste for dog owners everywhere! Its formula includes natural extracts that fight odors and stimulate fresh breath, helping to get rid of any stinky breath your dog might have.
The toothpaste uses patented enzymes that mean you don’t need to worry about rinsing this foam from your dog’s mouth, making it even easier for you to clean your dog’s teeth! For best results, you will want to use it two to three times a week with a soft-bristled brush.
Not only does this toothpaste work against bad breath, but it helps to reduce plaque too, helping to keep your dog’s mouth healthy in between vet checkups. We tried it out and found that it helped improve the breath of our pooch and fight some of the plaque they had built up too, making it another winner for us!
What’s great about this toothpaste is its poultry flavor too. If you’ve struggled to brush your dog’s teeth before, pop a drop of this on your finger and see if the flavor can entice your dog. You might be surprised by the results!
If you don’t believe us, check out some of the pictures people have attached to their reviews! The shiny white teeth and rave reviews are sure to sway you to try this toothpaste out. Yes, some reviews are complaining about the bad smell of the toothpaste, but they are so few and far between, we think it’s worth a try anyway!
- Super affordable – this toothpaste is perfect for anyone on a budget
- Poultry flavor – is sure to attract even the most stubborn of dogs
- Fights bad breath and plaque – to keep your dog’s mouth fresh and healthy
- Some customers complained of a bad smell on the toothpaste
Also Available At
- DOG TOOTHPASTE: Petrodex Advanced Dental Care Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste helps reduce plaque and tartar formation.
- PATENTED ENZYMES: With patented enzymes, this non-foaming formula of dog toothpaste does not require rinsing.
- FIGHTS BAD BREATH: With regular use, Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs helps reduce plaque and fights bad breath.
- POULTRY FLAVOR: Dog toothpaste comes in a delicious poultry flavor that dogs love
- RECOMMENDED USE: For best results, brush using enzymatic toothpaste for dogs at least 2-3 times per week. Use a soft-bristled Petrodex toothbrush designed for pets.
Finally, we have our last entry of the day, the RADIUS organic toothpaste! This non-organic toothpaste is more expensive than others on the list, but we think it’s worth it. To start with, it has a delicious cinnamon flavor that your dog is sure to love. It also works to fight plaque, remove bacteria, and keep your dog’s teeth nice and white.
What’s great about this toothpaste is that you don’t need a lot of it. A pea-size amount two to three times a week is all it takes to achieve these results. That means you shouldn’t need to repurchase this 85g tube any time soon! The gel is easy to get out of the tube, reducing the time you need to spend trying to brush your dog’s teeth.
Not only is the toothpaste chemical-free, but it is free of any pesticides, fluoride, or anything that could harm your dog. You can use this toothpaste without needing to worry at all about the health of your dog. What’s more, it can be used on dogs of any age, and even humans! Why not give it a whirl and share it with your dog?
RADIUS’ toothpaste is made right here in the USA and is cruelty-free. It also follows eco-friendly practices, so if these are important values to you, then this could be the toothpaste for you!
- Organic and chemical-free – making it super safe to use on your dog
- Cinnamon flavor – is tasty and one your dog will enjoy
- Cruelty-free and eco-friendly – making it the ideal purchase for those concerned about the environment
- On the more expensive side
Also Available At
- [THE ULTIMATE CLEAN FOR YOUR DOGGO] This organic dog toothpaste is all-natural and designed to fight plaque and harmful bacteria, keep breath fresh, and make your pup’s teeth pearly white!
- [HOW DOES IT WORK?] Veterinarians recommend brushing your dog’s teeth 2-3 times a week. Apply a pea-size amount of toothpaste to the toothbrush and be sure to thoroughly brush all teeth...and don’t forget about those gums!
- [BEST OPTION FOR THE BEST PUPPER] Our natural dog toothpaste is non-toxic and made with food grade ingredients. No xylitol, chemicals, pesticides, GMOs, glutens, fluoride, synthetics or any other nasty ingredients of any kind.
- [SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR PUP!] Our dog toothpaste is safe for dogs of any age. Not only that, but its safe (and delicious!) for humans too. No more stanky dog breath AND a toothpaste you can use too? Win-win for the pup parent.
- [MADE IN THE USA] We are proud to say that, unlike many major oral care brands, our puppy toothpaste is made and manufactured right here in the USA. Our products are cruelty free and made in American factories that have eco-friendly practices and comply with strict quality standards. RADIUS spreads smiles across the U.S. - people and canine alike!
Are you not sure what to look for when it comes to your dog’s toothpaste? Let our buyer’s guide help you there. Keep reading to see what features you should look out for when purchasing your dog’s toothpaste to ensure that you make the right choice for your pets.
When purchasing a toothpaste for your dog, be sure to check the ingredients list. Just like with their food, you will want to know what you are putting into their bodies. Look for toothpaste that features natural ingredients.
Not only can this help to soothe and clean your dog’s teeth and gums, but they tend to contain less sugar and chemicals that could be harmful to your dog.
We recommend checking the ingredients list before making your purchase. Keep an eye out for any ingredients that your dog might be allergic to, or have an intolerance to. If your dog has no known allergies, you don’t need to worry too much about this.
If this is the first toothpaste your dog is using, or they are a little fussy, you will want to get a tasty flavor. Having a flavored toothpaste that your dog enjoys will make the whole brushing process that much easier! We’ve all tried giving our dogs something that doesn’t taste great and seen their reaction, so wherever we can give them something tasty, we should!
Thankfully, toothpaste for dogs comes in a range of tasty flavors. Whether they are minty, banana, or orange, you are sure to find a flavor that your dog will enjoy. Why not experiment with flavors at home before purchasing the toothpaste to ensure that your dog will like the taste before it arrives?
When looking at flavored toothpaste, try and purchase one that uses natural flavors. These tend to have fewer additives and sugar, making them healthier for your dog and their mouth. After all, you wouldn’t load a child’s mouth with sugar when brushing their teeth, so why would you do it to a dog?
Most toothpaste brands clearly label the toothpaste with its flavor, so you won’t need to hunt to find the flavor when browsing for your new toothpaste.
Ensure that the toothpaste you are purchasing is suitable for dogs. It should be clearly labeled as ‘for dogs’ or have it listed somewhere in the product description stating that it’s suitable for dogs. If it doesn’t, don’t buy it. It’s not worth the risk of making your dog sick, so where possible, only purchase toothpaste suitable for dogs.
We know that can sound extreme, but none of us want our pooches to be unwell, do we? And that can happen if they use toothpaste that isn’t suitable! Take human toothpaste, for example. These are made using xylitol, a toxic substance to dogs.
So while it can seem tempting to save a few dollars and share your toothpaste, it’s not worth the harm it can cause to your dog!
If you do use toothpaste containing xylitol on your dog, be sure to take them to a vet immediately for an examination.
Ease Of Use
Brushing a dog’s teeth isn’t always easy. A lot of it comes down to how willing your dog is to have a toothbrush with a new taste moved around their mouth, and although there are a lot of tips out there to take advantage of, this is something that takes time and patience from you and your dog.
But the toothpaste we use can make it a little easier. Not only will you want toothpaste that is tasty for your dog to enjoy, but you will also want one that’s easy to use. Look out for toothpaste with a flip cap that allows you to open it quickly and easily and get it on the toothbrush and in your dog’s mouth.
Gel substances tend to be the easiest to use, although there is foam toothpaste available too. These don’t require rinsing afterward and are a preferred choice for those with stubborn dogs that don’t want to open their mouths often. If you have had issues brushing your dog’s teeth before, it might be worth trying a foam to see if that is any easier.
When looking for your new toothpaste, check out the customer reviews to see how easy others found the toothpaste to be. The easier we can make this task, the better!
Finally, you should consider the price of the toothpaste. The price of dog toothpaste can vary dramatically, so you must select a toothpaste that you can afford. When looking for toothpaste, consider your budget.
There are plenty of kinds of toothpaste on the market, so you are sure to find one that suits your budget, so do not fear, there is a toothpaste for everyone!
We recommend not only considering the price but the size of the toothpaste too. You will want to get as large a tube as possible, to ensure that you have excellent value for your money. Doing so can help you get not only an excellent toothpaste but one you can afford and won’t be a tiny bottle!
Frequently Asked Questions
Before you leave us today, check out our FAQ section to get any last-minute questions answered!
How Do I Brush My Dog’s Teeth?
You can follow our steps below to find out the best way to brush your dog’s teeth. You will want to repeat this twice a week to ensure that their teeth and gums stay healthy. Remember, if you have any questions or need more guidance consult your vet as they can help you with brushing techniques.
- Gently brush your dog’s teeth using circular motions. Do not use a stiff-bristled brush. A soft bristle brush will provide better results.
- Always start with the back molars. The front teeth are usually easier to reach.
- Work in circular motions, rinsing the toothbrush with cold water when it gets dirty.
- After brushing your dog’s teeth, rinse off the paste with water. It is best to wait 30 minutes before feeding your dog.
How Often Should I Brush My Dog’s Teeth?
Unless told otherwise by a vet, you should aim to brush your dog’s teeth twice a week. This will help remove any food that might be stuck, keep their breath fresh, and ensure that their teeth are healthy. If you are finding it difficult to brush your dog’s teeth, you can use Dentastix or other chews to help maintain healthy teeth and gums.
What Causes Canine Teeth Problems?
Many things can cause canine dental difficulties. The most common ones include:
Excessive Chewing On Hard Objects
Chewing on anything that isn’t food can damage the teeth. Hard toys can even break off pieces of an animal’s teeth.
Poor nutrition can lead to dry skin and coat, as well as poor dental health. You will want to avoid foods that can damage your dog’s mouth and gums. This can vary from breed to breed, so be sure to speak to your vet for more advice if needed.
Certain breeds of dogs tend to develop certain types of dental problems. For example, some breeds are prone to developing periodontal disease, while others are more likely to get cavities.
Last update on 2022-01-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API