Every dog owner loves to take their four-legged friends on adventures! Sometimes the best adventures aren’t always the closest to home meaning you might need to drive.
Whether your pup loves to run around a beach and splash in the sea or is more partial to a muddy puddle and a good sniff of the trees and bushes, there’s one thing you can guarantee; they’re coming back very messy.
This is great for them but devastating for the seats of your car. With each and every trip, you’ll begin to see more and more signs of general wear and tear.
Nobody wants their car covered in ugly scratches, unknown stains, unpleasant dirt, or full of hair. And of course, any pet owner knows the peril of trying to get the smell of any ‘accidents’ out of their seats.
What is best for your pet can also be the detriment for your car. So how do you balance still being able to take your best friend to all of their favourite places without completely ruining your car? Luckily, the answer is very simple!
All this can be easily avoided with the use of a good dog seat cover to protect your back seats from mud, dirt, grime, water or pesky dog hair, keeping your car still intact and pristine underneath.
There are plenty of these covers all across the internet, but which ones are really worth the purchase? Unsure of where to start or which product would best suit your needs? Read on to find out!
Table of Contents:
- 1. Best All-Rounder
- 2. Best Heavy-Duty Multi-Purpose Cover
- 3. Best Cover For Anxious Passengers
- 4. Best Front Seat Cover
- 5. Best Cover For Smaller Dogs
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Best All-Rounder
The Honest Outfitter’s Luxury Quilted Dog Car Seat Cover for Cars is a crowd favorite, with an average of 4.5 stars with over 9000 reviews, it deserves all the merit it has been given.
Made from four-layer durable materials, this cover is Anti-scratch, Non-slip, Waterproof, and wearproof.
The zipper design and heavy-duty quilted fabric make getting in and out much easier for your favorite friend and prevents scratches on the leather bench.
The convertible side flaps of the design also prevent drool on your seats and scratches on the doors. A mess-free car journey has never been simpler.
Honest Outfitter’s car seat also comes with so many more additional features, including; two storage pockets for any snacks or toys that you want to bring along, an Anti-Slip net, newly upgraded, to ensure the cover does not move around on the bench, Anti-Slip seat anchors which you push into the cracks in the back to stop the cover shifting and coming off from the seat, and seat belt openings to keep your dog safer and prevent them from jumping into the front of a moving vehicle.
What’s more, it also comes with a free pet seat belt too!
So not only will the durable material keep your car clean, the additional features will also keep you and your pet safe.
It is also made from an A grade PP cotton and so your pet’s comfort is a main priority, making it one of the most versatile covers on the market.
The only concerns for this product would be that it comes in only two sizes, large or extra-large, so do check the dimensions of the cover to ensure it will fit your car.
Installation has also been reviewed as slightly difficult but seems well worth the extra perseverance.
- Waterproof and wearproof – designed to last and keep the car clean.
- Additional features – space for toys and snacks.
- Free gift – free dog seat belt included.
- Easy to clean – just use a cloth to wipe or a vacuum cleaner.
- Limited sizing – comes in two sizes.
- Installation issues – reviewed as difficult to install.
- Excellent design with Side Flap: our dog seat cover can protect your car seat from scratch,hair, smell and dirt as well as keep your pet safe
- Interesting Design: Zipper and pocket in Front and a free pet seat belt.Passanger and pets can sit in the back seat.
- Excellent Size & Waterproof: Size- 57" W x 60" L can protect your backseat very well, the quality material is 100% waterproof
- Nonslip backing and seat anchors to prevent the seat cover from sliding around
- Easy to clean:When your pet gets the seat cover dirty, just wipe it with a damp cloth or vacuum cleaner, and it will be brand new again!
2. Best Heavy-Duty Multi-Purpose Cover
Looking for a multi-purpose, heavy duty pet seat cover designed to last? You need look no further than the Active Pets Back Seat Cover Protector. With three different ways to use this cover in your car, you’re ready for any adventure!
Whether you’re after Hammock, Bench, or Trunk styled protection, this multi-functional product has you and your pup covered.
You will be able to drive with the peace of mind that everything is under control, creating a safer journey.
Active Pets cover comes with four adjustable clips, made of extra strong plastic, to keep the hammock securely in place. You can also adjust the straps to customize to your specific vehicle.
The Velcro openings allow space for the seat belt plugs meaning you can attach a seat-belt harness or clip yourself in beside your dog.
The two anchors and non-stick rubber backing ensures that the cover stays secure in place and prevents slipping or sliding.
The cover is both comfortable and sturdy – made of high-quality materials to withstand pet’s paws and claws and preserve the back seats of your car.
With two separate layers of waterproof coating, this cover can withstand not only wet fur but any ‘accidents’ that might occur too. A thick layer of PP cotton also means that the back seats will always be comfortable.
Active pets cover is a universal fit which comes in both a standard and a larger size so no matter what type of car you drive, you can protect both your car and your pet.
However, this particular cover does not have a feature to cover the doors of your car and so if you have a particularly lively pup that likes to jump up and look out the window, you may not be protected against scratches of the rear passenger doors.
- Multi-purpose – can be used for the trunk, bench, or as a hammock.
- Universal fit – suitable for most car types.
- Heavy duty material and waterproof – protection for your backseat from all types of spills and stains
- Easy to clean – just wipe over with a cloth or vacuum.
- No back door coverage – if your pup likes to jump up at the window, this may not be the product for you.
- COMFORTABLE & STURDY - Forget about using cheap dog seat covers for cars that can't withstand paws and claws! This covering provides top-tier padding to protect from dirt, mud, water, and fur.
- UNIVERSAL FIT - These dog car seat covers are great for most cars, trucks, and SUVs. Use one as a cargo liner in the trunk, as a rear seat protector, or as a dog hammock for full coverage in the back.
- EASY TO CLEAN - Dreading the shedding? No worries. Even if your furry friend gets hair everywhere, our back seat cover for dogs is made with 600D Oxford waterproof cotton for fuss-free vacuuming and cleaning.
- SAFETY FIRST - 4 heavy-duty headrest anchors and 2 seat anchors keep this dog back seat cover secured in place on even the bumpiest of rides, so your pet doesn't slip and slide around.
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION - Have any questions, comments, or concerns about your dog car seat cover for the back seat? Our team is happy to give you and your pup a helping hand (and paw)!
3. Best Cover For Anxious Passengers
Have a furry friend that gets anxious when traveling in the car and looking to ease their journey? If so, then the Peticon Car Seat Cover may be the perfect fit for you.
The cover has a visible mesh ‘window’ that means that your dog can always see you, and can help keep them calm throughout your drive.
This feature also allows for better air circulation in both Summer and Winter keeping your pet both cool and warm.
This cover comes with two modes; Hammock Style with flaps for 360-degree protection, and Cargo Line which is large enough to cover your trunk.
With zippered flaps, the hammock design safeguards your pet from injury from unavoidable excessive car movements such as sharp turns and emergency stops allowing you to focus on your driving.
The cover is 100 percent waterproof, made of an upgraded grid pattern with a water-resistant coating.
It also uses hot-pressing technology instead of quilting without needle holes to avoid leaking water – so if an anxious pup has an accident, it won’t ruin the seats of your car.
It is also multi-functional and can protect against car seats, so if you have little ones any food or drink spills are easily cleanable.
If this wasn’t enough, it is also easy to clean and install. The cover has two quick release durable buckles, four sets of adjustable straps and two seat anchors.
This product is better suited to smaller or less active dogs as it is still possible for the doors to be scuffed if your dog jumps up at the windows.
- Mesh window – allows you to still be visible to your pets from the back.
- Good safety measures – designed to keep your pets safe and in place while driving.
- Waterproof – protected against any spills or accidents.
- Easy to install – quick release and durable buckles.
- No rear passenger door protection – doesn’t reach to the windows of the car.
- 100% Waterproof - We clearly know the importance of the waterproof for dog back seat cover. This dog car seat was made of the upgraded grid pattern with a water-resistant coating, it also used hot pressing technology instead of quilting, without needle hole avoid leaking water. No more worried cheap dog back seat cover ruins your seats.
- Visible Window - Peticon Dog seat cover with mesh window supplies your dog a better air circulation in Summer and Winter. Ensure your dog feels cool and warm. The visible window allows your dog to clearly see you, helps your dog reduce anxiety and remain calm when traveling.
- Perfect Fits Your Car - Perfect size of 54"W x 58"L fits different vehicles like cars, trucks, SUVs! Supplies your pets with comfort while keeping your vehicle interior safe from scratches, fur, and urine (100% waterproof). It also perfects for protecting cars from damage caused by baby car seats. And for kids, it can protect the back seat from food and juice spills.
- Two Modes Perfect for Your Pets - With durable zippered side flaps, the dog car hammock protects your dog from injury when the emergency brake and turn, you will be less distracted as a driver. The side flaps protect doors and make dogs impossible to reach the floor of the car. So that all the hair and dirt will remain on the surface of the car seat covers. Meanwhile, it prevents scratching the leather bench when dog jumps in.
- Easy to Install & Clean - With 4 quick-release durable buckles, 2 adjustable door slide straps, and 2 seat anchors, you can easily install this car seat cover for dogs in seconds. Easy to clean with a damp cloth, vacuum, or water shower.
4. Best Front Seat Cover
Urpower’s Dog Front Seat Cover may be the exact purchase for you if your pup loves to ride up front during drives.
This cover is suitable for not only small to medium sized dogs but also larger breeds, sizing at 20 inches by 43 inches, making it a universal fit.
The cover comes in a range of four colors allowing you to match it to your car interior. Weighing only 1.32 pounds, it is a light addition to your car.
Your car will be protected from any scratches or marks to your seat as the high-quality heavy-duty polyester is designed for durability. The material also has both a cotton and a waterproof layer.
Installation has also never been easier. There are two buckles; one to clip to the headrest and one to clip round the backrest. There is also a seat anchor to keep the cover in place and a skirt to cover the car seat.
It also includes a built-in rubber non-stick backing to ensure that there is no slipping or sliding of the cover ensuring a distraction-free drive.
Some reviews do have concerns that the cover can get ruined if put in a washing machine. Item description for best results cleaning to use a cloth to wipe over or use a vacuum cleaner.
- Universal fit – suitable for most car types.
- Heavy-duty, waterproof material – protects against stains and spills.
- Super easy installation – highly reviewed as easy to install.
- Good value – great for anyone on a budget.
- Doesn’t machine wash well – reviews show that it is best not to machine wash instead try a cloth or vacuum to clean any mess created.
5. Best Cover For Smaller Dogs
For those with smaller dogs, Wuglo’s Extra Stable Dog Car Seat comes highly recommended. This cover is perfect as a car seat for smaller dogs or booster seats for medium dogs.
It does have a maximum weight capacity of 26 lbs so do make sure this is suitable for you before purchase. This item, unlike others, is shaped much like a box.
It acts as more of a dog bed or kennel-like enclosure to keep your pet from being moved around while you drive.
What’s so great about this seat is that it really is very versatile. It can be used for both front and rear seats. It also has individually folding doors.
You can unfold one door to make it easier for your pup to get in and out, or unfold all doors to make more of a full car seat cover for medium sized pets.
Safety is also at the forefront of Wuglo’s design. The cover has three buckled belts and an anchor, keeping the seat stable and secure. In addition, the safety belt is adjustable in length so you can keep it securely in place.
The walls are ‘20 times stronger’ than traditional dog car seats, they are integrated with particularly stable elastic rods and plastic plates so you can always be sure your dog will stay in place as you turn corners and break.
It is also non-slip and waterproof. It is made of high-quality materials offering reliable protection from unwanted stains, spills, hair and scratches.
- Versatile – front and rear use
- Foldable walls – can be used for medium sized or smaller dogs and makes it easier for your dog to hop in and out.
- Sturdy and secure – safe and secure to make sure your pet doesn’t get knocked around or fall when turning or braking harshly.
- Only suitable for smaller pets – maximum capacity up to 26 lbs.
- Extra Stable & Safer - Due to the three belts & the anchoring, this car dog bed is extremely stable & safer than most other products. In addition, the length-adjustable safety belt on our dog booster car seat keeps your dog firmly in place.
- 20 Times Stronger Walls - Traditional dog car seats for small dogs and medium-sized pets often have weak walls. For this reason, we at Wuglo have integrated particularly stable elastic rods and plastic plates in the production of our medium and small dog car seat.
- 100% Protection for the Car Seat - This convenient dog car seat for medium dogs and smaller canines means no more scratches, hair, or other dirt on your car seats. In addition, our dog seat for car use is waterproof, so it perfectly protects against unwanted leaks and spills!
- Easy Assembly & Installation - Due to their straightforward and user-friendly design, Wuglo dog booster seats for vehicles can be installed in just a few moments. For maximum stability, we recommend using our car seats for dogs on the front seat of the car.
- Full Satisfaction Guarantee - If you are not completely satisfied with the Wuglo medium dog car seat and puppy car seat for small dogs, simply send it back and we will refund you 100% of the full purchase amount immediately - no questions asked!
It can be hard to know where to start when purchasing a dog seat cover. There are so many options on the market that it can be a little overwhelming. Here you will find all the options you need to consider before finalizing a purchase.
When it comes to dog seat covers, there are a variety of different styles available. The most popular options are hammock, bench, and trunk. So, let’s take a look at these in closer detail.
A hammock-style dog seat cover looks exactly how it sounds. It clips for stability on the front and back headrests of the vehicle and creates a hammock in the back of the car.
The purpose of this is to get a full coverage of the back to ensure everything stays clean. It is important to note that the hammock does not support the weight of your dog and you will need to make sure your dog is sat on the back seats.
I would opt for this style if your pup loves to get messy as it will cover the whole area of the back rather than just the seats themselves.
When buying a hammock-style cover you want to make sure you check to make sure it is durable and long lasting. Look for sturdy material and waterproofing to make sure it will last!
A bench-style cover will cover only the back seats of your car. This option is best for those with less boisterous pups who still want to keep their cars clean without taking up all of the space in the back.
When buying a bench car cover you want to make sure you are looking for secure seat covers which won’t move around or expose the seats.
The most secure covers come with buckles to keep it in place as well as seat anchors that push into the back of your seats.
A trunk-style cover will cover the storage area or trunk of your car. Perfect for those with an SUV, minivan, or station wagon.
It offers a layer of protection for the back of your car and has the benefit of being more spacious for your pup.
When purchasing a trunk-style cover you will want to ensure that you have a sturdy material which is waterproof and has a cotton layer so that your car is protected and that your pup is still comfortable. This is essential as there are no seats in the back and so the floor can be much more uncomfortable for your dog.
Another thing to consider is whether or not you will be having passengers in the back seats at the same time. Hammock covers tend not to be compatible with having passengers in the back.
Many bench covers have space for the seat belt plugs so you can strap in both your pup with a seatbelt harness or for passengers to sit beside them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Dog Car Seat Covers Safe?
The answer is yes. Most dog seat covers come with several safety features built into them to keep your pup as safe and secure as possible.
Do Dog Car Seat Covers Work?
Yes. Dog seat covers use materials built to withstand claw and scratch marks, catch hair, and are waterproofed to avoid liquid seeping into the seats, protecting your car from any mess or stains that your dog may create.
How Can I Protect My Seat from Dog Hair?
Using a protective cover over your seat means that all dog hair will collect on the cover and not your car. Most products state that they are easy to clean – just remove and wipe with a cloth or vacuum.
Are Dog Hammocks Good?
A dog hammock will give you the most all-round coverage for your car to ensure it stays as clean as possible.
Last update on 2022-01-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API