Specially designed backpacks are brilliant for carrying around pets, particularly small dogs. We take a closer look at the Pet Gear Escort Roller Backpack and see how it meets your needs for those long treks and short jaunts around town.
If traveling is your big joy in life, being able to take your cat or dog along is essential. Bigger dogs can be put into the back of the car, but smaller dogs might need extra protection. They often don’t have the build or energy to walk long distances either.
The I-GO2 Escort Roller Backpack from Pet Gear is designed to be easy to use and comfortable for any small dog. It’s ideal for breeds such as Shih Tzus and Chihuahuas and conforms to the standards for use on most airlines.
CLICK HERE to Read Customer Reviews & to Buy the Pet Gear I-GO2 Escort Roller Backpack on Amazon!
Table of Contents:
Pet Gear I-GO2 Escort Roller Backpack Review
We’ll take a look at all aspects of this Pet Gear backpack and find out how you can get the most out of it. While it’s slightly more expensive than some other pet carriers on the market, it’s still good value for money.
Who Is Pet Gear?
Pet Gear is a US company that produces a wide range of equipment, toys, and products for dogs and cats. These include backpacks and carriers as well as booster seats, beds, and cots. Pet Gear grew out of a company that has been developing baby care products since 1936, so they know what they’re talking about.
Their past development experience gives them a head start in developing great products that are perfect for all sorts of pets. A lot of thought goes into their pet equipment to make it more user-friendly and flexible than many others.
The IGO2 Escort Roller Backpack is a case in point – a high-quality pet carrier that is flexible enough to be used for a wide range of activities.
CLICK HERE to Buy the Pet Gear I-GO2 Escort Roller Backpack on Amazon!
Which Sizes and Colors are Available?
The interior dimensions are probably more important where your pet is concerned, though there isn’t much difference between the two.
- The interior measures 15 inches in height by 14 inches length and 8 inches depth.
- That’s more than enough room for small cats and dogs. Don’t forget the sides can be adjusted to add an extra 3 inches.
The backpack is available in a range of trendy colors including blue, copper, pink and black. Its simple design is both chic and functional, so you get the best of both worlds if you’re style conscious.
If you have a small to medium size dog, we recommend that you take a look at our review of the Snoozer Wheel Around 4-In-1 Pet Travel Carrier.
What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages:
When you first take a look at the Escort Roller Backpack, it looks pretty standard. It does, however, have value-added extras that all pet owners might find useful.
- This is an excellent carrier that is suitable for small dogs and cats.
- There’s a sturdy base with a comfortable mat which can be easily removed and cleaned if needed.
- There are tether attachments which means you can keep your pet secure inside (users suggest a harness rather than a collar).
- Unlike other pet backpacks, this one has wheels at the bottom and an extendable handle. That means it can be used as a traditional suitcase and towed behind you.
- The straps are comfortable, well-padded and easy to adjust.
- If your pooch needs some extra space, the sides can be adjusted outwards giving you an extra three inches.
- You can use the Pet Gear backpack in a variety of ways: a normal carrier, as a car seat carrier, an airline crate, and a wheeled carrier.
- There are a few extra compartments too which means you can store things like leads and toys.
- The backpack has zippers rather than the usual Velcro which you find on many other pet products.
- Some people don’t like the idea that these don’t have locks on them but that shouldn’t cause a problem for most. The build is reasonably robust, and the zips aren’t likely to come undone.
- The telescopic handle can be a bit of a nuisance though it is a useful addition. When you wear it as a backpack, the handle may dig into your shoulders a little. Adding some extra padding is probably something you will need to do if you feel a little discomfort.
One of the benefits of the Pet Gear Escort Roller Backpack is the ability to change the size a little. This is excellent if you are on a long journey and want to give your pet the chance to stretch out a bit more.
The tether is inside the backpack and should, ideally, be attached to a harness rather than a collar. It’s a safe way to keep your pet from escaping or getting too excited. People either like the stroller aspect of the backpack or can take or leave it, but this is an extra that can undoubtedly be useful in areas like airports.
While the backpack is not officially certified for use on airlines, it conforms to most specifications for flights in the USA. It’s a good idea to check if you are traveling by plane, but the Pet Gear Backpack should be suitable.
Who is Buying the Pet Gear Backpack?
It’s the perfect carrier for smaller dogs such as Shih Tzus and Pekinese. They’re not the only ones who like the design and convenience of the I-GO2. It’s been used by bird owners and cat owners, to name just a few.
The benefits of the Pet Gear Backpack mean that it can be used for different activities. It’s certainly important if you like hiking and going on long trips. Get your pooch used to being carried and it can be invaluable.
If you don’t like the less secure slings or pouches on the market, or your dog doesn’t like going in them, the backpack is bigger and more substantial. You’ll find it easier to encourage your dog to go inside.
What Customers Say About the Backpack
The I-GO2 has been bought by thousands of customers, and the reviews are generally pretty good. One customer, for instance, found it ideal when they decided to take their Shih Tzu for a long hike around the Rocky Mountains.
- The backpack can be strapped into any car seat and provides a secure container for your dog. It’s easy to transport around on long walking trips and means you don’t have to worry if your dog is getting tired or not.
- One little design idea that has got reviewers talking is that you can unzip the screen at the back so your dog can pop their head out. With the harness catch, you can also make sure your dog doesn’t jump out.
- Of course, as with any carrier, the backpack can be problematic if you have a stressed-out animal on your hands. Most customers make a point of saying that your animal needs to be correctly acclimatized before you go out properly for the first time.
- If you are planning to go out on your bike and want to take your dog with you, the Pet Gear I-GO2 is perfectly suitable. You throw it over your shoulders, and you are good to go.
- For those traveling on the train or the subway, the backpacks are also a good option though some may not like the idea that their pets are facing away from them. With the extending handle, however, the backpack can be rolled along the floor.
- The side pockets are another design feature that customers liked. They’re a little on the small side but great for keeping treats and toys.
- Most customers recommend measuring your pet before you buy the Pet Gear Roller Backpack to make sure they will have enough room. Smaller dogs with longer legs can be reasonably comfortable, but you should make sure to secure them with the harness catch.
Should I Buy It?
There are many backpacks for pets on the market nowadays, and it’s difficult to know which one to choose. The Pet Gear Escort Roller Backpack ticks all the boxes and has few downsides. If you’re not bothered by having zippers without locks, there’s not much working against it as a pet carrier.
The critical factor in its popularity is that the backpack is versatile. It’s great if you want to go from one place to the other. But it’s also robust enough to handle a long hike or be taken on a flight. The material is lightweight and durable and easy to keep clean.
Most people can either take or leave the telescopic handle, but it can come in useful in areas like busy airports. The ability to create a little extra room for your pooch is one of those value-added extras that will always come in useful.
If you’re looking for a backpack pet carrier that comes at an affordable price and is durable, this is certainly worth considering.
CLICK HERE to Read Customer Reviews and to Buy the Pet Gear I-GO2 Escort Roller Backpack on Amazon!
Last update on 2022-01-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API