Breeders and vets both recommend crate training for dogs, but which crate do you buy? With the limitless number of options available to you online, it can be a very difficult decision which one will be the best fit for you and your pet.
Training a puppy can be hard enough without having the struggle of buying a product that doesn’t fulfil your needs. The space, material and durability are all aspects that need to be considered.
Ordering online can become problematic when you buy products without knowing all of the information. For example, what if it is smaller than you imagined or the material can be chewed through easily, making it possible for your pet to escape?
Crates from an early age are the primary source of obedience and co-operation from your pup, which can also be the difference between safety and uncertainty in emergencies. Therefore, it is essential that you choose the correct crate for your dog, so they feel safe and at home in it from an early age.
So, which one do you choose? From fabric products to metal crates and portable options, I will be going through several different options. Hopefully, I can provide you with a greater insight into what type of crate would be best for you and your dog!
I will be looking at the best dog crates on the market currently with additional information that should help guide you through your process of choosing.
Table of Contents:
- 5 Best Dog Crates
- 1. Ellie-Bo Dog Puppy Cage
- 2. AmazonBasics Premium Folding Portable Soft Pet Crate
- 3. PawHut Pet Crate End Table Wooden Dog Kennel Cage w/Metal Wire 3 Doors Latches
- 4. PawHut Heavy Duty Pet Playpen Metal Dog Crate Kennel
- 5. BingoPaw Heavy Duty Dog Crate with Tear Resistant Square Tube, Strong Metal Large Dog
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
5 Best Dog Crates
This crate from Ellie-Bo is the perfect option and not only for a puppy. This product can also last them into their adult years.
They provide different sizes for different types of dogs and advise buying a crate big enough for when your dog is full size and in the meantime, you can use dividers to make the space smaller. The cage can grow with the pup.
What we all want is something that is easy to assemble. The crate is also very easy to fold down easily and flat which makes it ideal for transporting and storing.
The most important part is that your dog is comfortable and SAFE! The crate has two heavy duty latches on both sides making sure you have double the security.
The removable tray is also steel, making sure your pup is unable to chew. Being able to remove the tray also makes the cleaning part much easier.
You are going to want to make this area as comfortable as possible for your dog as this will be the equivalent to their bedroom. Ellie-Bo also offers comfy beds that fit perfectly inside of the crates for ultimate relaxation.
- Variety of sizes + puppy guide – Options for all dogs and include guidance for new pet owners.
- Easy setup – easy to assemble and also fold down for transporting.
- Your dog’s safety – two heavy duty latches making sure your dog won’t escape.
- Non-chew tray – making sure your dog doesn’t get into the habit of chewing when alone.
- Removable tray – easy access for cleaning.
- Not the most desirable look from an aesthetic point of view as some people prefer material versions.
- 48" Folding Dog Cage. Folds flat for easy storage and transportation.
- Two sliding latch mechanisms on each door to secure the cage
- Height 34" x Length 48" x Width 31"
- Steel non-chew removable metal tray for easy cleaning
- Ready assembled in folded position with instruction booklet and training guide
Are you looking for something portable? Amazon has a great offer for a soft pet crate, used primarily for travelling.
Sometimes when travelling it can be irritating to have your dog on your lap constantly, and it might be uncomfortable for them too! So why not try something different and let your dog relax in their own space.
This type of crate could be ideal for someone who takes their dog to work or on public transport. This product is well-ventilated with multiple screened panels for your pet to look out of relieving any worries you might have about their comfort inside.
It is also handy for their comfort that it includes a fleece-covered pet bed for when on the road.
Another convenient feature is the accessory pockets on the sides where you can store treats and toys that are easily accessed when needed. Therefore, you know everything you’re going to need will be with the crate.
The top handle strap also makes the job of carrying the crate much easier when going to and from different places. Moreover, the product is made with durable polyester and PVC material ensuring a safe environment for your pet.
- Great for public spaces – This crate is ideal for taking your dog on trips in different environments.
- Well ventilated – it’s important for your dog to see what’s going on around still and also have very good ventilation so they do not overheat.
- Fleece covered bed – comfort is key!
- Extra accessory pockets- handy and efficient for storage when travelling.
- Top handle strap – convenient for carrying to and from places.
- Limit access to the inside– only one side unzips and you may want one more versatile.
- Soft-sided carrier crate for pets that collapses down easily for storage
- Made with durable polyester and PVC material
- Well-ventilated with multiple screened panels for your pet to look out of
- Includes plush fleece-covered pet bed for comfort while on the road
- Accessory pockets on the top and sides for storing treats, toys, and more
As your dog is part of the family, you could buy a crate that fits in as part of the furniture. This wooden crate is for smaller dogs and is a stylish option to match your décor.
Some crates can look slightly undesirable, but this is an option you would be happy to place in any room of the house.
With a Stylish duo design, consisting of an MDF outer frame for a contemporary look, with metal caging completing the other half; this item offers something different, not only for your pet but also for yourself!
There is also a large front door and side door for easy access and for your pet to come in and out easily.
Another aesthetic feature for your home is the flat top surface where you can place ornaments or flowers for decoration, which could be an effective way of making it look like part of the home.
Cleaning is always an important aspect, so by having a water-resistant surface, it is much easier to clean.
- Looks like part of the home décor- it could be a more desirable look for your home.
- Safety- Fitted with wire all around and locks to make sure your dog stays safely inside when needed.
- Easily cleaned- water resistant surface.
- Fit into surroundings- can put ornaments or flowers on top to make it blend in.
- Only for small dogs- a limited brand only producing this type of crate for smaller dogs and will not be an option for everyone.
- CONVENIENT & VERSATILE: This dog crate furniture is light and easy to assemble, making it suitable for small-sized dogs less than 23.5" in body length and 33 lbs. Also, with its flat-top roof, you can place pet supplies and other items.
- SOFT CUSHION: The dog kennel furniture comes with a removable and washable soft cushion, making it the perfect resting area for your furry friends.
- AMPLE SPACE: The dog crate end table features a large wooden top with an excellent weight-bearing capacity, enhancing a homey feel. There is a side cabinet with three adjustable levels for toys and snacks.
- SOLID & STYLISH: Steel and particleboard with a wood-like finish make this dog kennel durable and stylish. Since it has a rustic aesthetic, you can easily combine it with your other home décor.
- DOG CRATE TABLE INFORMATION: Overall Dimensions: 38.5" W x 19" D x 27.75" H. Suitable for small pets within 33 lbs., body length should not exceed 21.75". Assembly required.
Are you looking for a crate that is ideal for indoors and outdoors? This could be the perfect one for you.
This product is made from heavy duty metal including premium metal tube and metal wires that will stay fresh for years to come. Therefore, this product can be deemed durable, something you won’t need to replace.
Space is important to make sure your dog is comfy and has room to stretch and move around. This particular crate allows dogs to play, exercise and sleep making it multifunctional efficient.
With an easy assembly, this item is just what you need, no tools needed, just unfold it.
As I’ve mentioned, safety is key, and this product has a lockable door and roof cover to make sure your dog will not go anywhere. The roof cover is also removable so that you can access your dog any time if needed.
- Indoors and outdoors- ideal for someone with a garden.
- Durable- the material means it can last longer and your dog won’t be able to escape/chew through.
- Spacious- it allows your dog to have space to move freely to either play, sleep, or exercise.
- Safety- roof cover and lockable door means the safety for your dog is ensured
- Open top- effective if you need to get your dog out quickly in an emergency.
- Dogs climbing out- puppies can be very adventurous and the top cover is fabric, which could be chewed through.
- STURDY STRUCTURE: This outdoor dog kennel is constructed of a heavy-duty metal frame with a sprayed treated material to provide superior strength & durability to use for years.
- LOCKABLE DOOR: Our dog playpen has a door with a uniquely designed lock that adds extra security for outdoor use. Not only does this mean your pets stay in the dog cage, but unwanted guests stay out as well.
- ROOF COVER INCLUDED: The roof of our dog crate is a polyester fabric that is UV and water resistant, protecting your animals from small rainstorms and the sun. Portable and lightweight allows to take our for camping. Note: Not advise to use in adverse weather.
- OUTDOOR DOG KENNEL: The pet pen is constructed of 6 panels, provides great space where dogs can spend time outside in the fresh air. This makes it suitable for rabbits, ducks, small sized dogs, such as French bulldog, pug, a beagle. Note: Please measure the size of your dog before purchasing.
- OUTDOOR DOG KENNEL DIMENSIONS: Overall Dimension (Cover Included): 48"L x 41.25"W x 46.75"H, Single Piece Size: 24"L x 30"W, Entrance Size: 16"W x 28.25"H, Assembly required, no tools needed.
We have seen one that is ideal for smaller dogs, but what about the big dogs? This is definitely an option that is up there in terms of stability and safety.
This crate also has lockable wheels which is great for keeping it in one place, but the wheels are also convenient for moving it around where you need it and cleaning underneath.
Made from corrosion-resistant steel, strong and durable. It is difficult to damage and also has a non-toxic finished surface when thinking about their health.
It is fitted with two locks with safety buckles to prevent the dogs from opening the door and escaping. Square steel tubes design is more resistant to bite than round ones making this all that much better!
With its 360-degree rotated locking casters, it can help you to move the crate anywhere, easily and lock the wheels in place to keep the crate secure, for indoor and outdoor use.
A really important part of keeping your dog safe is also the ventilation it is receiving. Keeping your dog inside of the crate is important but making sure they have the correct ventilation is more important, and this crate recognises that.
- Stability- locks on the wheels allow you to keep the crate secure or can make it easier to move outdoors.
- Durable – the material is strong and is the type of product you won’t have to keep replacing.
- Ventilation- the thought gone into the ventilation is important and they recognise that this is the most important factor.
- Strong – larger dogs won’t be able to get out as easily as they could in material crates.
- Cleaning- can move the crate around easily with the wheels to clean underneath.
Lack of comfort- the comfort and ‘homely’ feel was not mentioned by this brand.
- Heavy Duty Chew Resistant Square Tube: 0.6 inch Square steel tubes design are more resistant to chew than round ones, Reinforced sturdy large dog crate is made of corrosion-resistant carbon steel, hard to be damaged, nontoxic finished and vulcanization surface keep your dog health and excellent anti-rusty ability, This is a very sturdy large dog cage, even for strong, powerful and aggressive dogs
- Upgrated Huge Space: The height of the cage is 29.3”(38”),34.4”(42”),35.4”(46”); the width is 30.7inch(42”), the 33.07inch(46”), the inner height of our cage is 2-5inch higher and the width is also 3-4 inch wider. So your dog can lie in or stand in or do any other posture they like . Enlarged Space will make them feel calm and comfortable, so that your pets can stay inside for a longer time without anxiety
- 2 Anti-Escape Locks: Heavy duty dog cage is designed for pets who are fierce, violent or aggressive dogs. Dual secure latch lock prevent dog opening the door from inside.Then Dog crate can train and correct dog’s misbehavior, 3 doors have reinforced solder joint, tested by many dogs for a long time,we designed unique shaped lock that can effectively prevent them from escaping
- 3 Doors Design: A food door, front door, top door design, super convenient to use, it can be a dog house, dog playpen, etc. Front door is suitable for pet in and out or put the dog bed and bowls, the top door can be opened for you interacting with your dog with toys, and the small food door can do daily feeding without opening the large door
- Easy to Assemble and Clean: We have offered detailed instructions with pics step by step in the package. Just takes about 30 minutes to complete it. Removable tray make it easier to clean up spills, Falling food scraps or other accidents. 4 Loackable Wheels can help you to move crate anywhere (Outdoor and Indoor)
This type of task may seem simple enough for you, but have you really thought about every aspect of it and what will be the best product for your dog? Shopping online can be difficult nowadays because you never know what you’re going to get unless you’ve looked into it properly.
Below, there are some further points that could steer you to fulfilling your goal of finding the perfect crate. This is also about your dogs’ individual needs, what type of area it needs and feels comfortable in.
This could save you time and effort overall.
Metal Vs Fabric Vs Wood:
This one will all depend on what type of dog you have and the strength it has. How durable does this product have to be to suit your dog’s needs?
The metal option can be used for any dogs, but it is more durable for stronger and larger dogs that grow faster as puppies and the crate may need to be sturdier to keep them in.
However, if your dog is much smaller and has less tendencies to chew material, the fabric option could be more desirable aesthetically as well as for comfort.
How it looks in your home is also a huge thing for many dog owners who don’t always want something quite large to not fit into their home décor.
Therefore, you could also go for the wooden option or a metal crate with fabric curtains to cover the sides.
It is also important to think about whether you are going to want this outdoors as well and how well it can handle the weather.
If you are someone who likes to take your dog along with you frequently, it might be a good idea to look at the portable crates which have multi-purposes.
It’s all about the comfort of your pet whether you are in the car or on public transport; thinking about how they feel and what would make them feel at ease on longer journeys.
Some of the portable crates can also be used as crates indoors as well, so this could be a good investment to use this item more often and can be convenient for you and your pet.
You want something that is going to last. Looking at the materials used is always important. This also links into the dog’s safety and you having to worry less about whether your dog is going to escape or not.
Metal crates are very durable because they are more difficult for dogs to chew through. Whereas fabric crates can be slightly less durable over long periods of time but may have a nicer look to them.
Most of the wooden crates also include metal wires around the sides to make sure the area is secure which also makes the crate very durable. However, this may not be the first crate you would buy for your puppy because chewing could be a problem.
I think access is such an important part of having a crate so that you can have some control from an early age. For most metal crates access is very good in terms of different latches that can be opened, getting in and out of the crate.
Some wooden crates tend to be more aesthetic than others and give you less access apart from the front which sometimes won’t be enough for your dog. If you have a larger dog, you might want to think about buying a crate with more access for them to enter and leave freely when allowed.
Most crates now have similar safety features because it’s required for every dog, and it is very important. However, there are several types of crates that you should avoid if your dog is taller and can easily climb out because it can be a hazard if they are training.
Open top crates are ideal for smaller dogs that can’t jump very high because you have easy access to them, and they can’t get out but that won’t be the case for bigger dogs.
Safety in relation to ventilation is also very important and some brands recognize this more than others. Portable crates that are more enclosed tend to be less appealing and claustrophobic for certain dogs in cars and hot places and especially for really fluffy pups.
Metal crates tend to let more air flow easier through the gaps.
Setting yourself a limit on how much you can spend is very important because there are always lots of extras you can buy with these products.
It’s incredibly important to always look at the features side by side and compare what is best for you and your pet and not just in general because that can be where people go wrong.
Another point includes not always focusing on the brand itself because it’s the information that is important that the brand is providing more so than the brand they have created.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Better To Crate Train A Dog With A Wire Kennel?
If your dog constantly chews, it may be better to purchase a plastic or wire crate than a fabric one. You should monitor your dog the first few times they are crated and work to crate train them.
Are Plastic Dog Crates Good For Small Dogs?
Most plastic crates are in smaller sizes suitable for small dog breeds, pups, and cats. If your fluffy is not so little, it’s good to keep an eye on the dimensions of the crate.
Mostly the main purpose for a plastic crate is the ease of transportation for vet trips or short journeys.
Last update on 2022-01-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API